PDA

View Full Version : Speaker question??????

essexjet
08-09-2004, 09:33 AM
I was wondering if there's a way to replace my front 6x9's with component speakers? As you could see that there is a 6x9 hole where a round speaker would go. Would you have to make a panel to mount the 6 1/2 on and then mount that to the wall? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. :confused: :confused:

ROZ
08-09-2004, 09:52 AM
A few solutions for you:
1. have the entire panel remade
2. cover and nicely trim a small piece of plywood and cover the hole. Then install the 6.5 into it.
3. take the panel off and trim a couple inches of wood away. Then stretch the vinyl into the hole and staple it to the backside of the panel. vinly wrap a small piece of plywood(maybe one of the other colors of your interior) to inset behind your side panel and mount the new speakers into it.
4. buy a 6x9 component speaker like MB Quart's RCE269

Brian Ray
08-09-2004, 10:03 AM
I took option 2.....came out nice. A lot cheaper than option one. ;) If I had to do it all over again I would look into the MB Quart's 6X9 component.

ROZ
08-09-2004, 10:52 AM
I took option 2.....came out nice. A lot cheaper than option one. ;) If I had to do it all over again I would look into the MB Quart's 6X9 component.
Is that Jerry's old boat? :cry:

riverbound
08-09-2004, 11:48 AM
I would recommend using the MB Quart 6x9 seperates (RCE269) you can also coax mount them so you dont have to cut any more holes.

Brian Ray
08-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Is that Jerry's old boat? :cry:
Yeah.... :) Awesome boat..... :)

Magic34
08-09-2004, 01:47 PM
I would recommend using the MB Quart 6x9 seperates (RCE269) you can also coax mount them so you dont have to cut any more holes.
I agree with that as well

essexjet
08-09-2004, 03:15 PM
I think I will do that thanks riverbound and ROZ.
:cool:
Riverbound I don't think I have a day off until the dam run, do you have time in the shop to squeze me in within the next two weeks?
Thanks
James

riverbound
08-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Let me know what day is good for you, I will get you in.

essexjet
08-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Let me know what day is good for you, I will get you in.
How does Thursday or Friday sound to you.

DogHouse
08-10-2004, 07:52 PM
I have the same situation as Essexjet, 6x9 holes and would like to run separates. I went and listened to a couple of different MB Quart 6.5 separates. I wasn't that crazy about the Reference series. The next series up (can't remember the name) sounded much more open and detailed to me. Unfortunately the RCE269 is the Reference series. I'm wondering if they're available as separate pieces so that the better crossovers and tweeters could be used with the 6x9 woofers. Anyone know if that can be done and approximately how much it would cost for a setup?
Thanks,
-Brian

mbrown2
08-10-2004, 08:53 PM
You obviously looked at the MBQuart reference...I would look at the Diamond Audio M3, 391i or the Boston Acoustics SL95...

ROZ
08-10-2004, 10:33 PM
DH, you're speaking of the premium line. Unfortunately the 6x9 stops at the Refrence series. As far as purchasing the parts to the set, it is possible, but will cost a grip. Seems wierd, but true... Another thing is that the premium crossovers are made to work with premium line, a call can be made if you're seriously interested in this product. 2 reasons MB doesn't contimue the 6x9 in the premium or q lines. One is that they wouldn't sell enough to make a profit, and 2 is that the person who looks for high sq usually isn't willing to go with a 6x9 in a door application especially since a round speaker wil out perform it in a high end SQ aplication.
The SL95 is, like most Boston Acoustics, is a very smooth sounding speaker that can only be credited to the change in the tweeter's mount that improved it's off axis response. We started carrying the Polk Momo's recently and have had great customer response. That may be another speaker to look at as well as the DA products MBrown spoke of :)

Magic34
08-10-2004, 10:54 PM
DH,
I used the MB Quart NKD116 (6.5")in my boat and I've been very happy with them up to this point. If you want to stay with the 6.5's I suggest that route. If you want to go 6x9 then I suggest what the other boyz said.

DogHouse
08-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Ok now I have to go find another shop that carries these other models and have a listen... You guys are killing me! :D
Thanks for all the good suggestions, I'll keep looking. Probably won't pull the trigger until winter because it going to be a big job to rip the interior apart and rework the panels.
-brian

Magic34
08-11-2004, 08:02 AM
Ok now I have to go find another shop that carries these other models and have a listen... You guys are killing me! :D
Thanks for all the good suggestions, I'll keep looking. Probably won't pull the trigger until winter because it going to be a big job to rip the interior apart and rework the panels.
-brian
Since you are waiting until winter, if you catch me at Pleasant, you can listen to mine any time you like and get an idea what the 6.5's will do on the water.

DogHouse
08-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Since you are waiting until winter, if you catch me at Pleasant, you can listen to mine any time you like and get an idea what the 6.5's will do on the water.
Thanks, but if I do that I'll start wanting to buy a new boat, and then I won't be able to afford new speakers!
:D

essexjet
08-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks to ROZ and riverbound, I went with the MB Quart 6x9 reference speakers and they sound amazing!!!!!!! :crossx: It put the four rockford fosgate 3-way 6x9's to shame.