PDA

View Full Version : 4 subs or 2??

syke-o
10-06-2004, 02:47 PM
The other thread by lhcvictory got me thinkin about adding 2 more 12's to the current set up or just upgrade the current sub set up with more power/diiferent enclosure. Unfortunately i dont have the exact specs on the subs.amps in front of me as the boat is in the shop right now. All i do know is the 2 12's are JL(just dont know the model) and the amp is Rockford(again dont know the model), and i am running 8 6x9's in a 22' Laser open bow.
But in theory which would be the better way to go?
I will try and post the specs on the equipment when i get the boat back...

Havasu Hangin'
10-06-2004, 04:53 PM
In theory, anytime you double the power or double the cone area, you will get 3 dbs more.
Myself, I like to keep the bass/component ratio around 2-1, so if you have say 800 watts to the components, I'd run 1,600 watts to the subs.
Having said that, I think you could put a couple high-end 12's in there (as long as they work in the current boxes) that will easily outrun those 8 components.

mbrown2
10-06-2004, 05:34 PM
HH said it right...2-1 for the subs is a good thing....also two high end 12"'s, right power, and right enclosures it should more then enough to provide large base to 8 6x9's..

ROZ
10-06-2004, 06:57 PM
HH said it right...2-1 for the subs is a good thing....also two high end 12"'s, right power, and right enclosures it should more then enough to provide large base to 8 6x9's..
You mean like a pair of 12w6v2's in slot ported boxes :idea: :D

mbrown2
10-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Heck, I was satisfied with one of those, but two do sound good...I am sure they would not only hit, but hammer :hammer2:

MAINEVENT
10-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Are those JL's :confused:

mbrown2
10-06-2004, 08:52 PM
Are those JL's :confused:
Yes, those are JL's....12W6

riverbound
10-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Syke-o
Stick with 2 12's in your boat and just upgrade to better subs and more power.

Magic34
10-07-2004, 08:03 AM
If you are not adding more amps and batteries then stick with 2 and upgrade. However, if you are adding some more power(amps and batteries) then I am partial to 4.

syke-o
10-07-2004, 08:15 AM
thanks for all the input. :D The boat sounds ok as it is with the 2 12's, i was just looking for more... i think i will just upgrade the subs/enclosure/power instead of adding two more 12's..... so are the JL's listed above the way to go???

syke-o
10-07-2004, 08:17 AM
If you are not adding more amps and batteries then stick with 2 and upgrade. However, if you are adding some more power(amps and batteries) then I am partial to 4.
that is a nice set up!!! but i dont have the luxury of a big closed bow area, i just have the room by your feet on the driver and passenger side :(

syke-o
10-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Syke-o
Stick with 2 12's in your boat and just upgrade to better subs and more power.
bill i will probably go this route... thanks for your help in the past as well :D

syke-o
10-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Ok here is my cheezy set-up:
1-Pioneer DEH-P400(buying new xm unit this winter for sure)
2-JL Audio 12w3-d2 - subs
1-Rockford Fosgate Power BD500.1
1-Rockford Fosgate Power 400a4
4-Kenwood KFC-6905S - 6x9's
4-Kenwood KFC-6976 - 6x9's
should i just scrap everything?? what should i replace???

Mr. Naudio
10-28-2004, 05:15 PM
If you are still looking just for more bass.
I would switch the sub amp out for the JL500.1.
After first making sure your enclosure is right for those subs.
And assuming that your subs are in good condition.
Not had alot of experience with the RF amps other than replacing them with others.(little hot out here for them)
Dont get the wrong idea though they are good amps from what Ive seen and heard.When heat and crossovers are not an issue. :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
10-28-2004, 06:55 PM
You have 8-6x9's off that 4 channel amp? If so, I think they are only getting 50 watts each...ouch.
I add some power and upgrade to W6v2's...they have pretty much the same size enclosure requirements. A nice 1,000 watt class D amp would fit the bill...

syke-o
10-28-2004, 08:09 PM
If you are still looking just for more bass.
I would switch the sub amp out for the JL500.1.
After first making sure your enclosure is right for those subs.
And assuming that your subs are in good condition.
Not had alot of experience with the RF amps other than replacing them with others.(little hot out here for them)
Dont get the wrong idea though they are good amps from what Ive seen and heard.When heat and crossovers are not an issue. :wink:
thanks... the subs are in ok condition, the box was built by al & eds(riverbound) and i have 2 fans cooling the amps off... i will price that amp out

syke-o
10-28-2004, 08:12 PM
You have 8-6x9's off that 4 channel amp? If so, I think they are only getting 50 watts each...ouch.
I add some power and upgrade to W6v2's...they have pretty much the same size enclosure requirements. A nice 1,000 watt class D amp would fit the bill...
excuse me for my ignorance, but what class d amp would you recommend??? and does class d stand for mucho (d - ollars)....

riverbound
10-28-2004, 09:31 PM
thanks... the subs are in ok condition, the box was built by al & eds(riverbound) and i have 2 fans cooling the amps off... i will price that amp out
I would change the amp out and upgrade to a Rockford or JL 1000 watt mono (the rockford will be cheaper) ALso you should change your Kenwood 6X9s out to the Eclipse SE8493 (like we talked about last time). and add another 4 channel amp . And yes the boxes are right for the subs. I have ran 2 12w3s off of a 1000 watt amp many times and you will be very happy with the results. Let me know if you want anything and I will make sure you get taken care of.

Havasu Hangin'
10-29-2004, 04:37 AM
excuse me for my ignorance, but what class d amp would you recommend??? and does class d stand for mucho (d - ollars)....
Class D is a subwooofer amp that is more efficient at lower frequencies, so it runs cooler. That RF you have is a class D.
I ran a JBL 1200.1 at 1 ohm on my last setup- no worries. They are phasing them out, but you can find deals out there:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLBP12001Z
That amp was bench tested at over 1,300 watts at 2 ohms...not bad for only $200. Or, you could spend the money on the JL 1000/1. With that much power, I'm not sure those W3v2's would be happy.
Like RB said, I'd put some more power to those components, too.

syke-o
10-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Class D is a subwooofer amp that is more efficient at lower frequencies, so it runs cooler. That RF you have is a class D.
I ran a JBL 1200.1 at 1 ohm on my last setup- no worries. They are phasing them out, but you can find deals out there:
http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLBP12001Z
That amp was bench tested at over 1,300 watts at 2 ohms...not bad for only $200. Or, you could spend the money on the JL 1000/1. With that much power, I'm not sure those W3v2's would be happy.
Like RB said, I'd put some more power to those components, too.
ya that is a good deal.... i am wondering about the "factory reconditioned" part though.... similar power in another brand is 3-5 times more expensive :hammer2:

syke-o
10-29-2004, 08:49 AM
I would change the amp out and upgrade to a Rockford or JL 1000 watt mono (the rockford will be cheaper) ALso you should change your Kenwood 6X9s out to the Eclipse SE8493 (like we talked about last time). and add another 4 channel amp . And yes the boxes are right for the subs. I have ran 2 12w3s off of a 1000 watt amp many times and you will be very happy with the results. Let me know if you want anything and I will make sure you get taken care of.
thanks again bill.... i will be visiting your shop in the near future for sure!! i appreciate your help...

cdog
10-29-2004, 11:32 AM
I've got two eclipse 12's with a Fosgate bd1000 amp and six 6.5 MB Quartz and my system sounds great. The box is sealed in the rear bench and it's loud and has lot's of bass. The high's amp is a fosgate 500 watt 4 way. I also run two marine optima/ blue tops for the stereo alone and can switch to all four optima's if I want. I think it better to use the best equipment you can get your hands on and then decide if you want more bass. It's all about the combo and equipment that works well together.
My best friend had 2 12's in a 87 camaro that was the loudest thing i have ever heard. They were some old school JBL 12's with a crossfire amp in a huge box. The god damm thing would shake your filling's loose. And this was back in 1994.

syke-o
10-29-2004, 12:14 PM
I've got two eclipse 12's with a Fosgate bd1000 amp and six 6.5 MB Quartz and my system sounds great. The box is sealed in the rear bench and it's loud and has lot's of bass. The high's amp is a fosgate 500 watt 4 way. I also run two marine optima/ blue tops for the stereo alone and can switch to all four optima's if I want. I think it better to use the best equipment you can get your hands on and then decide if you want more bass. It's all about the combo and equipment that works well together.
My best friend had 2 12's in a 87 camaro that was the loudest thing i have ever heard. They were some old school JBL 12's with a crossfire amp in a huge box. The god damm thing would shake your filling's loose. And this was back in 1994.
thanks cdog... the thing is that i bought the boat with the current system and have only added the billet grills and had the boxes redone.... so i wont feel like i am wasting any money to take some of the stuff out and replace it....
and back in 94 i had a couple 12" vegas in the hatch of my eclipse that brought down the house too.....(ok maybe it wasnt that great, but it sounded good to me) :)

OC Ultra
10-30-2004, 09:19 PM
syke
My ultra is similar to yours & I want to put in some subs...any pics of how yours are setup. I'm at a loss of how to set the boxes up I'd like to have it sorta stealth. :)

syke-o
10-31-2004, 09:12 AM
syke
My ultra is similar to yours & I want to put in some subs...any pics of how yours are setup. I'm at a loss of how to set the boxes up I'd like to have it sorta stealth. :)
i will take some pics this week and post them...... it is actually really stealth as u cant tell i have subs at all...

OC Ultra
11-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Still trying to figure out how to install the subs. Do I buy a box, and bolt em to the floor(ghetto). Must be some ideas for installing under the bulkheads in small boats like mine. Maybe have them glassed in? HELP, can't visualize a good way to do it.

riverbound
11-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Still trying to figure out how to install the subs. Do I buy a box, and bolt em to the floor(ghetto). Must be some ideas for installing under the bulkheads in small boats like mine. Maybe have them glassed in? HELP, can't visualize a good way to do it.
The most common way we do it is build a rectangle box that fits under the dash with the woofers facing the back of the boat. Then we build a cover panel that contours the boat (sort of like making another bulkhead) this panel will have a hole cut in it where the woofer will fit through. This will look like we took your factory wall and cut a hol in it and mounted a woofer in it. But in reality there is an enclosure behind the new wall. You will loose a little bit of leg room under neath.
The way we did Syke-0's boat is pretty much the same but the woofers actually face the front of the boat instead of the back. then the panel is just a flat wall. this gives the illusion that there are no woofers in the boat. the woofers actually fire against the front bulkhead and are vented out the top.
Hopefully syke-o will post some pics soon to give you a better understanding of what I am talking about.
Parker if you are reading this their are pics of this on the shop computers.

OC Ultra
11-09-2004, 09:29 PM
I starting to get the idea......how do you fasten the box? The more I think about it I' m gunna have to bring the boat back from the river, and hand it over to you guys & let you have at it.

riverbound
11-09-2004, 09:39 PM
If the woofers are rear facing we usually go int ot he fron bulkhead and into the floor closer to the middle of the boat. You want to stay away form the outside edges the boat gets really thin there adn you run the risk of going completely through the bottom of the boat.
If you go front firing it is mounted to the floor and mounted to the side bilkhead.

OC Ultra
11-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Riverbound...thanks for all the tips. Now to figure out, how ambitous do I feel. Before I make the decision I'll check with ya!

syke-o
11-12-2004, 10:26 AM
driver side (there is actually still a ton of leg room)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/197DSC00169.JPG
looking forward
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/197DSC00170.JPG
passenger side
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/197DSC00168.JPG
rear bench
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/197DSC00167.JPG

ROZ
11-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Another solution is to build a downfiring box that vents toward the driver and passenger feet...
Works VERY well ;)