PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio

Powerquestboy
10-15-2004, 08:22 AM
I'm intereted in a portable XM or Sirius radio that I can transfer from the car, to the boat. The problem is I really like satellite because its so clear and dont want to have to use the a radio station to get the signal. Is there a way to hard wire it to different head units so all I have to do is plug it in?
Also I'm leaning more towards sirius but give me some opinions on XM versus Sirius.
Thanks

1stepcloser
10-15-2004, 02:16 PM
It depends on the current system's in your boat and car/truck. Most audio companys have partnered with primarily XM in the past couple of years, and have many satellite ready head units.
Most of these have add on receivers that plug into the head unit through the auxillary bus port or through an RCA input eliminating the need for the RF adapter and display the information on the HU's display panel.
The RF adapters are there if your unit is not satellite ready and you dont feel like investing in an upgrade.
I believe Pioneer or Alpine (I'm not really sure) has a transferrable XM unit that would allow you to do what you want, while maintaining the signal quality. (But I suppose you would need a docking port in all the places you plan on using the receiver, this may or may not be cost effective)
As far as XM versus Sirius, I have neither, so my opinion here is as worthless as any internet wire jockey. :smile: I have seen the playlists for both companies and they seem very similar, as do their pricing. furthering with my opinion, I would have to jump on the XM bandwagon as they seem to be the one making it big....most auto manufacturers as well as aftermarket audio have gone that route and thats gotta put the squeeze on Sirius.
I do have a Kenwood HU, Kenwood opted to partner with Sirius, so thats my option.... :confused:
Dont take any of the preceding post Siriusly though, as I have no clue what the hell I'm talking about.... :idea:

riverbound
10-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Let us know what kind of radios you have. Alot of new radios have the ability of adding an aux. input or have it already built in. So you can pick whatever service you want.
I have XM in my cars and boat. But with the announcement of Howard Stern going to Sirrius I might switch at least my commuter car to Sirrius.

Kachina26
10-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Strange thing about sirrius and I don't know if it had to do with the install, but, I had a customer car come in with an aftermarket sirrius add on. It blanked out when I drove the car into the shop, the XM radios never lose signal in the shop. I know that XM has antennas (sp) to pick up the slack when you get out of satellite range, I don't know if sirrius has the same system or if it is not as extensive as XM. Perhaps it was just not installed correctly. Dunno????

riverbound
10-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Strange thing about sirrius and I don't know if it had to do with the install, but, I had a customer car come in with an aftermarket sirrius add on. It blanked out when I drove the car into the shop, the XM radios never lose signal in the shop. I know that XM has antennas (sp) to pick up the slack when you get out of satellite range, I don't know if sirrius has the same system or if it is not as extensive as XM. Perhaps it was just not installed correctly. Dunno????
XM uses land based repeaters so when you have no line of sight to the sky you will pick up the land based signals. Sirrius does require line of sight to the sky. Antenna placement also plays a big role on reception on both services. Dont let the place installing it tell you it will work fine if they install the antenna inside of the car. Teh antenna must be mounted outside preferably on the roof for the best reception.

upsman105
10-16-2004, 09:02 AM
Xm is cheaper, and has been around longer, thats why you see it more. Sirius is a little more but has less commercials, and soon will have Howard Stern, if that is important to you.

Kachina26
10-16-2004, 09:37 AM
XM uses land based repeaters so when you have no line of sight to the sky you will pick up the land based signals. Sirrius does require line of sight to the sky. Antenna placement also plays a big role on reception on both services. Dont let the place installing it tell you it will work fine if they install the antenna inside of the car. Teh antenna must be mounted outside preferably on the roof for the best reception.
So does sirrius not use satellite?

riverbound
10-16-2004, 12:09 PM
So does sirrius not use satellite?
They both use sattelites that orbit. The problem with Sirrius is when you are in an area where the antenna can not see the sky it will not recieve any signal (thats why it cuts out when you pull it into the service bay) Where as XM uses the satellites but they also have land based repeaters that will play music even if the antenna can not see the sky. For example I have XM on my boat and it works in my garage, even though it can not see the sky, because of the land based repeaters. if I had Sirrius It would not work in my garage, because the antenna no longer is able to see the sky. You will find that both will cut out at times. There is no real answer as to which is better it all depends on personal prefference, or whichever one will work with the radio you now own. the positives to XM is cheaper pricing and more acceptance by the industry. Xm aslo has pretty good weather and traffic stations that go by major cities, If you are dricing to LA it will tell you the weather and traffic in LA. The positives to Sirrius is They will have Howard Stern, If you like listening to him. And they also have individual NFL programs for each team, for example if you are a 49er fan they have a channel that broadcast the 49er game.
But it all boils down to personal preference. Pretty soon all the satelite ready radios will be able to accept either XM or Sirrius so if you have an Alpine you will not have to go with xm You can pick which ever one you want.

Kachina26
10-16-2004, 12:36 PM
They both use sattelites that orbit. The problem with Sirrius is when you are in an area where the antenna can not see the sky it will not recieve any signal (thats why it cuts out when you pull it into the service bay) Where as XM uses the satellites but they also have land based repeaters that will play music even if the antenna can not see the sky. For example I have XM on my boat and it works in my garage, even though it can not see the sky, because of the land based repeaters. if I had Sirrius It would not work in my garage, because the antenna no longer is able to see the sky. You will find that both will cut out at times. There is no real answer as to which is better it all depends on personal prefference, or whichever one will work with the radio you now own. the positives to XM is cheaper pricing and more acceptance by the industry. Xm aslo has pretty good weather and traffic stations that go by major cities, If you are dricing to LA it will tell you the weather and traffic in LA. The positives to Sirrius is They will have Howard Stern, If you like listening to him. And they also have individual NFL programs for each team, for example if you are a 49er fan they have a channel that broadcast the 49er game.
But it all boils down to personal preference. Pretty soon all the satelite ready radios will be able to accept either XM or Sirrius so if you have an Alpine you will not have to go with xm You can pick which ever one you want.
I assumed that they just didn't have as many repeaters as XM, I can't believe that they don't have any. Seems like an inferior system then. I'm getting ready to do one for my boat/truck/commuter car. Probably gonna go with XM.

JetBoatRich
10-16-2004, 04:23 PM
I have XM, music stations and comedy are great :wink: sports have a little to be desired, limited if any live sports.
Sirrus NFL package is the way to go for football, I know XM is looking at adding sports and other pacakages for an additional fee each month.

riverbound
10-16-2004, 10:24 PM
I assumed that they just didn't have as many repeaters as XM, I can't believe that they don't have any. Seems like an inferior system then. I'm getting ready to do one for my boat/truck/commuter car. Probably gonna go with XM.
Sirrius uses no land based repeaters. That doesn't mean it is an inferioir product they are two totally different technologies. But there is a reason the major auto manufacturers that offer sattelite radio do use XM.

ROZ
10-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Sirrus satelites are at a different angle and has less(if any) repeaters because of it. XM is at a greater angle and needs more repeaters in order to get correct coverage. ie. downtown locations...
HD radio is comming out as well. Clear Channel is planning to broadcast all of their stations from it.... Imagine putting it on 690 or 640(or any ther clear channel station) ove here nd being able to listen toRome, or John and Ken all the way accross th country without changing the station
Yet another decision :squiggle: :D

Kachina26
10-17-2004, 07:27 AM
I would almost choose the HD just so I could get Phil Hendrie all the way to Havasu :D Thanx again for the education guys, I do work on the XM systems in GM vehicles, but only when there is a problem. Which just hasn't happened yet believe it or not.

ROZ
10-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Phil Hendrie is a funny mofo! :D

Powerquestboy
10-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. It's a tough decision because I like to run stock radios in my cars since I've had soo many stolen (I finally got sick of purchasing nice stereo systems for everyone in south Phoenix). I guess I could have the GM dealer put their XM system in my 02 Yukon, but then i couldnt transfer it to the boat or my VW. I may have to suck it up and use the tape deck adapter or FM modulator dealio with a mobile unit. I also dont want to pay for one license in my truck, another in my car and another for my boat.
Is it possible to buy a mobile unit and use the same license as you have on your car. For instance the stock XM system that comes in GM vehicles. If I already had that and I got a mobile unit could I run them off the same license or would I have to pay another 10 bucks a month.

Kachina26
10-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. It's a tough decision because I like to run stock radios in my cars since I've had soo many stolen (I finally got sick of purchasing nice stereo systems for everyone in south Phoenix). I guess I could have the GM dealer put their XM system in my 02 Yukon, but then i couldnt transfer it to the boat or my VW. I may have to suck it up and use the tape deck adapter or FM modulator dealio with a mobile unit. I also dont want to pay for one license in my truck, another in my car and another for my boat.
Is it possible to buy a mobile unit and use the same license as you have on your car. For instance the stock XM system that comes in GM vehicles. If I already had that and I got a mobile unit could I run them off the same license or would I have to pay another 10 bucks a month.
It's only $6.95 for addl units :rolleyes: