PDA

View Full Version : engines

RYNORO1
10-02-2001, 07:16 PM
I am buying a new boat and am wondering about the pros and cons of jets and outboards. Any comments would be appreciated.

ponponracing
10-06-2001, 08:38 PM
Slippery road, buddy!

fryzll
10-06-2001, 11:31 PM
Harleys and Hondas pal, I like jets for the simplicity and cool cackle, and the price is WAY lower. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Nothin is better than a lumpy B/B w/ a jetavator http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Chris
[This message has been edited by fryzll (edited October 07, 2001).]

Unchained
10-07-2001, 09:51 AM
There are a lot of really fast outboards here in Mi. and a couple of negatives that I can see is that when they are turning a big prop they can't shift into gear with the engine running or it will trash the gearcase. They have to shut it down and start in gear like the V-drive guys.
Second when they do have an engine problem it is mega-expensive to fix. It scares me watching those guys run because the boat is only touching the water on a small point and they seem like they are always ready to blow over.

Tinkerboater
10-29-2001, 07:33 PM
I guess the question is do you want to sound good or sound good and go fast too. HP for HP a prop drive boat is much faster and uses much less gas! NO offence to Jet boaters - they have there place.