PDA

View Full Version : 350 Mag Build Question

Squatting Dog
01-18-2002, 10:32 PM
Hello Guys,
I am in need of some 350 mag build suggestions: I have a 95 Celebrity Firestar 21foot BR with through-hall exhaust Alpha outdrive Gears (1.50). Most of my boating is done @4000-5000 feet, itÂ’s a family boat tubing/skiing with the kids, itÂ’s kinda a dog coming out of the hole with 5 people onboard, I am wanting to add a little more power. Putting a BB in is not an option. This is what I am planning to do to my stock motor, what do you think?. Purchase a set of Dart Pro-1 heads (64cc), put in a roller cam (any suggestions on duration/lift/brand 1.5 or 1.6??) and a new aluminum manifold & Holly 650 card. I use both a 19 & 21 prop. Do you think I will notice a difference?
Thanks in advance for you input everyone
[This message has been edited by Squatting Dog (edited January 18, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by Squatting Dog (edited January 18, 2002).]

Havasu Hangin'
01-19-2002, 09:28 AM
Don't let these big blocks guys corrupt you...
Where do you want to make your HP? I'd recommend 5,000-5,500...no more. You need lots of torque, to get that "out of the hole" help.
IMHO, I'd recommend heads that have a maximum of 180cc intakes- those Pro1's have 200+cc's. You'll probably never turn that engine high enough to use all the 200cc flow, so you're just sacraficing bottom end velocity and torque. You might want to consider the Iron Eagle, but I like aluminum (Brodix, Edelbrock, etc.). 64's? Ouch.
I went with the Crane Hydraulic roller on my SBC, with 1.5 gold race rockers. They have plenty of lift. Mine is 222/230; .509/.528. This cam would pull top HP in a 350 @ around 5,500RPMs. Decent idle, and plenty of flow for my needs.
In addion to the carb and manifold, you might want to consider an aftermarket ignition, as you can set the curve and limits easily.
You will notice a difference.
Good luck.

Bill in Las Vegas
01-27-2002, 07:54 AM
Squatting dog. I just read this and have a little experience with my last boat.A Eliminator 206. I advise on the edlebrock carb.You will not have to mess with it after it's dialed in. Everytime I turned around I had to mess with the Holley.I don't think you will gain much MPH. I went from a 3 blade to the High 5 and it was the best thing I ever did. With those mods and the High 5 you should run around 60 mph but have great pulling power and midrange.

Squatting Dog
01-29-2002, 11:41 PM
Hello Guys,
I have changed my mind now! I am a little worried that I will not get the power out of the heads & cam and carb that I am hopping @ 5000-4000 feet altitude. So I have decided to go with a Whipple supercharger on my stock 350mag. They (Whipple) say I should be able to run 6-7psi with a stock setup and get about 150hp that should take me to around 420hp, this will cost $3891without intercooler or $5100 with intercooler. Anyone have any good or bad experience with a whipple system? Is the intercooler worth it, they said it helps keep the exhaust temps down, do I really need a intercooler?