PDA

View Full Version : Connelly F1x or the Concept. Or KD

Cole1313
09-28-2005, 01:25 PM
I am looking at getting a new ski, and wanted to see if anyone has ridden the F1x of the KD. I have been riding the Concept for years and really like the way it handles, but they do not make that ski in a 69.
Thanks for any comments!

Up 4 River
09-28-2005, 02:23 PM
I have not skied on a KD since 2003 so I am by no means an expert on it. I will e-mail Gordon Rathburn who runs Ski Paradise down in Acapulco and ask him this question for you. He gets KD's and D3's among other skis down there to test each season and has a good grasp on what is performing well. How tall are you and what do you weight? I was skiing on a D3 69 and recently moved to a 71 and did not lose any perfomance with the new technology they have out there.

Cole1313
09-28-2005, 02:35 PM
I have not skied on a KD since 2003 so I am by no means an expert on it. I will e-mail Gordon Rathburn who runs Ski Paradise down in Acapulco and ask him this question for you. He gets KD's and D3's among other skis down there to test each season and has a good grasp on what is performing well. How tall are you and what do you weight? I was skiing on a D3 69 and recently moved to a 71 and did not lose any perfomance with the new technology they have out there.
A 71 wholly cow, that is a ship. It may work for me though. I am 6'5 235. The concept I have now is a 67.

h2oski2fast
09-28-2005, 03:44 PM
How tall are you and what do you weight?
A person's height makes no difference to the ski. The ski has no concept of height; only wieght, skier position, and ability factor in.

Up 4 River
09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
I didn't mean to ask how tall you were. My bad. I know I went from an older 67 to a 71 and I originally thought that it would be be way to big. It is faster and comes around the edges better than the older one did. It's all preference.

simple
09-28-2005, 06:04 PM
I own a Connelly FX1 & it's 71cm long. It is made for guys 180lbs & up. It works great & I highy recommend it because it cuts as good as a higher end ski but is much easier to get out of the water.

Cole1313
09-29-2005, 05:42 AM
I own a Connelly FX1 & it's 71cm long. It is made for guys 180lbs & up. It works great & I highy recommend it because it cuts as good as a higher end ski but is much easier to get out of the water.
I am not really worried about getting out of the water as much as I am getting on edge around the bouys. I had heard that the FX1 is not a double concave and makes it harder to get and hold an edge.
I tend to ski more to the back and in neutral position. Coming into the bouys I am a little forward. This is just how I have been taught. I guess the only thing to do is grab two or three skis and try them out.
Thanks for the help.
Oh, If this helps, I can pull the course at 25 off at 34 mph. I am hoping that a new ski and some more practice will be down to 30 off at 36 mph. I am going to try to do some competitions next year starting in April.

Beer-30
09-29-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm 6-1 and 218 on a 68" KD-7000 (1999 model) and love it. I have not been on the other ski you mentioned. Before the 7K, I had a Kidder Red-Line ProGraphite, which was top of the line around 1984-85. I actally still have it.
Skis these days are just so damn bitchen. Any make, model you get will be awesome. Just ski on a few different ones before you buy - they are not as affordable as they once were!

Up 4 River
09-29-2005, 11:43 AM
This is the e-mail I got back:
Robert,
Connelly makes the F1 and it's a very good ski.
I'm not sure what KD is making these days. I think they were sold and I'm not up on what they are doing. Denny Kidder has D3 skis and their new Nomad is supposed to be hot.
He needs a new ski.
Adios,
Gordon
25 off at 34 mph is great and I bet you're happy you have all of your 6'5" frame coming around the buoy. :D I am currently skiing on a HO CDX 2002 model and it cuts on the edge and arounf the buoy no problem. I am still only 15' off at 36 mph but that is what I can do. I am 22o lbs and the ski holds me fine. If you have someone or a shop that you can try out different skiis that would be the best to do in my opinion. Good luck!

Cole1313
09-29-2005, 12:31 PM
This is the e-mail I got back:
Robert,
Connelly makes the F1 and it's a very good ski.
I'm not sure what KD is making these days. I think they were sold and I'm not up on what they are doing. Denny Kidder has D3 skis and their new Nomad is supposed to be hot.
He needs a new ski.
Adios,
Gordon
25 off at 34 mph is great and I bet you're happy you have all of your 6'5" frame coming around the buoy. :D I am currently skiing on a HO CDX 2002 model and it cuts on the edge and arounf the buoy no problem. I am still only 15' off at 36 mph but that is what I can do. I am 22o lbs and the ski holds me fine. If you have someone or a shop that you can try out different skiis that would be the best to do in my opinion. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I just moved to another state and do not have any hookups at the shops yet. I used to be able to just go in and grab a couple of skis and bring them back on Monday. Here they want $20 a day just to try a ski out. That is BS. If I am trying it out and I like it then I will buy it.
that 2 miles an hour is hell for me. I can barley pull 15 off at 36. I think it is mental. So maybe a new ski will get me to that next level.
Where do you ski at??? I am in AZ

Up 4 River
09-29-2005, 12:55 PM
I ski recreactionally at Parker and Havasu. I have not skiied the course in a while since you can't find many out here other than Canyon Lake or throught the Ski Clubs at Newberry and Corona.

Cole1313
09-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I ski recreactionally at Parker and Havasu. I have not skiied the course in a while since you can't find many out here other than Canyon Lake or throught the Ski Clubs at Newberry and Corona.
I had heard that for a while someone was setting up a course in Newport Harbor. Just rumors though.
Have you tried any of the lakes in Bakersfield??
There is a private lake about 10 minutes from my house, but I have yet to meet anyone that lives there.

Up 4 River
09-29-2005, 01:31 PM
I haven't heard of a course in Newport Harbor. It's 5 mph everywhere in there but that would be sweet. I could walk or ride my bike to that one. I've skiied the course in salt water before and it's nice because you stay on top of the water better.

Cole1313
09-29-2005, 02:16 PM
I haven't heard of a course in Newport Harbor. It's 5 mph everywhere in there but that would be sweet. I could walk or ride my bike to that one. I've skiied the course in salt water before and it's nice because you stay on top of the water better.
It hurts like a mother though when you try to crush the wake with you head. It was somewhere past a bridge. It was totally illegal but the cops never did anything. Like I said it was just a rumor.