PDA

View Full Version : question to all boat builders and riggers

mach1 454
01-06-2002, 06:12 PM
Im a 17 year old with a 1975 mach1 that my dad bought me 2 summers ago. We bought it with the engine taken apart and a veriaty of electrical problems that i fixed my self. The engine is a 454 chevy that i built on my own and runs very well. Ever since i fired that engine up and suprised all the neighbors because they didnt think it was going to run well i fell in love with engines and boats. But my question is how can i get in too the performence boating industrie, after i graduate from high school? I wuold LOVE to one day be an engine builder and a boat rigger for some boat company such as elimanator,howard,DCB,etc. Is it a well paying job or good enough paying to buy a 27 foot tunnel boat such as an HTM and a decent house? Im planning on going to universal technical institute to learn more on how to build hi-performance engines. I would love any info. THANX

warlock25
01-06-2002, 06:23 PM
What area do you live in? maybe we can find you some local help.

mach1 454
01-06-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by warlock25:
What area do you live in? maybe we can find you some local help.
i live in burbank,california. but thanx for any help bro. THANX

Flat Screwd
01-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Mach 1 If its money your lookin for DONT get in the boat industry. Most of the boat builders and engine builders I know have a hard time putting gas in there cars besides making any bank. OK maybe thats a little harsh. I worked for Stellings for a while and they were very fair with me, very fair! But you got to understand that boating and hotrods and performance building is a lobor of love for 97% of us.And the other 3% have the lions share of the buisness. Not to say you cant break into it or build into it.
If your a good mechanic than get into engineering. Mechanical, electrical, structural, reinvent the internal combustion engine. Design a recyclable fuel. Perfect the oilless engine. Dont restrict yourself to oil changes or mixing resin for your next layup. If you plan your future right than you will have time to play with your toys and the money too boot!

Slick
01-07-2002, 09:49 AM
You California guys would know better, but doesn't Cal Poly have a good Automotive Engineering Dept? That would be the way to go.

BlownChevy
01-07-2002, 07:09 PM
I am personally looking into going to UTI (universal technical institiute) and taking the HotRod U course. It teaches you everything about soupin up engines w/ aftermarket parts.... do u guys no of any better? see ya

hcb26
01-08-2002, 07:05 PM
mach1454, I worked for Howards for acouple of years and it was awsome, I even got to build my boat, You learn a lot of stuff when you work in the boating industry, Now when I go to the lake I feel like the handyman always working on everyone elses boats, If I werent trying to get into the fire department I would still be there. I f you have any ?s feel free to ask!!!!

mach1 454
01-12-2002, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by hcb26:
mach1454, I worked for Howards for acouple of years and it was awsome, I even got to build my boat, You learn a lot of stuff when you work in the boating industry, Now when I go to the lake I feel like the handyman always working on everyone elses boats, If I werent trying to get into the fire department I would still be there. I f you have any ?s feel free to ask!!!!
hey, man whats up? i do have a question. what do i have to do to become a boat rigger? Do i have to go to school for it? Is it hard to get into the high performance boating industry? And is it decent pay? Thanks for the info.

SoCalPower
01-12-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by mach1 454:
hey, man whats up? i do have a question. what do i have to do to become a boat rigger? Do i have to go to school for it? Is it hard to get into the high performance boating industry? And is it decent pay? Thanks for the info.
It's a fun profession but you have to be prepared for the slow periods dictated by the economy & seasons. Fortunately you are in SoCal and the "off-season" is short. I rigged and did service at various shops, and on my own, for about 20 years. I am in a different profession now, after graduating with an engineering degree from Cal Poly. To get started, hire on as an apprentice or "shop helper" and learn. It's not rocket science. A good rigger at a quality boat builder should make 50K-75K/yr. It will wear you out though. Do it, but work for someone that will work around a school schedule (full or part time). Finish school, get a job, and do boats on the side for fun and cash........its working for me!

mach1 454
01-14-2002, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoCalPower:
It's a fun profession but you have to be prepared for the slow periods dictated by the economy & seasons. Fortunately you are in SoCal and the "off-season" is short. I rigged and did service at various shops, and on my own, for about 20 years. I am in a different profession now, after graduating with an engineering degree from Cal Poly. To get started, hire on as an apprentice or "shop helper" and learn. It's not rocket science. A good rigger at a quality boat builder should make 50K-75K/yr. It will wear you out though. Do it, but work for someone that will work around a school schedule (full or part time). Finish school, get a job, and do boats on the side for fun and cash........its working for me!
[/QUOT
How do you get hired as part time would i have to go to the shop were they build the boats and ask if they are hiring or what do i do to get hired part time while i finish school. I would love to one day when i graduate high school be a full time boat rigger or marine engine builder and build my DREAM boat!!!!!!!!!!thanx for any help

RumRunner
01-15-2002, 07:12 PM
If you want to be in the hi perf industry the money is in Charlotte going in circles. Then you can afford your toys !

mach1 454
01-15-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by RumRunner:
If you want to be in the hi perf industry the money is in Charlotte going in circles. Then you can afford your toys !
i want to be a boat rigger not only for the money but because i want to be able to get up in the morning and be happy to go to work. i love working on boats and especially if im getting paid!! but most of all i would LOVE to have a 27 foot tunnel boat because every time i go to the lake it gives me the chills to see those bad toys out their.
mach1 454

SoCalPower
01-18-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by mach1 454:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoCalPower:
[/QUOT
How do you get hired as part time would i have to go to the shop were they build the boats and ask if they are hiring or what do i do to get hired part time while i finish school. I would love to one day when i graduate high school be a full time boat rigger or marine engine builder and build my DREAM boat!!!!!!!!!!thanx for any help
You sound inspired....Go to all marine repair shops and boat builders in your area. I started at a small shop in Anaheim as a mechanic's helper in 1975 and they worked around my school schedule. I don't know of a marine trade school in SoCal....maybe I should start one. db

mach1 454
01-30-2002, 08:48 PM
im thinking on driving down to howard or tegaue to see if they could hire me part time and work around my school schedule until i graduate high school. and than work there full time after graduating school. would that be a good idea!!???
mach1 454

SoCalPower
02-03-2002, 08:51 PM
That's a good start. They are both respected facilities. The season should be getting into gear pretty soon so they may be hiring. Also, isn't Boostpower USA near you?? Good Luck!