PDA

View Full Version : motors--ProCharger

PowellRunner
01-12-2002, 06:05 PM
Guys help me out...We just ordered a 30' sleekcraft Heritage with HP 500 EFI for power...This is a heavy boat and I want to be able to go 65-70 at Lake Powell. Should I consider a bigger motor at this time? I think I'm leaning toward beefing up the drive to the Mercury ITS...then if I'm not satisfied I can easily put on a ProCharger(after getting the year warranty on the HP 500 EFI)and have 740 horsepower. This may(will) cost less money than buying a custom motor now,I also want to stay fuel injected.
What do you think? I want to be wise in the decicion....I'm kinda a green horn, and would like some help..

Maverick
01-13-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by PowellRunner:
Guys help me out...We just ordered a 30' sleekcraft Heritage with HP 500 EFI for power...This is a heavy boat and I want to be able to go 65-70 at Lake Powell. Should I consider a bigger motor at this time? I think I'm leaning toward beefing up the drive to the Mercury ITS...then if I'm not satisfied I can easily put on a ProCharger(after getting the year warranty on the HP 500 EFI)and have 740 horsepower. This may(will) cost less money than buying a custom motor now,I also want to stay fuel injected.
What do you think? I want to be wise in the decicion....I'm kinda a green horn, and would like some help..
I'm no help, but am wondering about how the Pro-Charger matches up against the B&M (Now Holley 144) EFI supercharger?? Which is better, more dependable, more likely to fail, etc.?
Maverick

Havasu Hangin'
01-13-2002, 07:46 AM
I've got a friend with a Procharger on his 454. On the positive side, it fits under the engine hatch nicely.
On the negative side, it doesn't build boost as quickly as a roots or screw-type blower.
If it were me, I would bolt a Whipple on to that 500EFI. You should get a plenty flat torque curve to get that big boat moving, and it will push that thin air into your motor no problem.
Good luck.

boatnam2
01-13-2002, 08:25 AM
if you plan on taking a hp500 running a pro charger hard enough to make 250 hp better start saving now for you new motor when your old one blows up.

Maverick
01-13-2002, 05:09 PM
[/B][/QUOTE]
Hey, Havasu H.
What about the B&M 144 as opposed to the Whipple? Is the Whipple better and is so why?
Maverick.

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Maverick:
What about the B&M 144 as opposed to the Whipple? Is the Whipple better and is so why?
I am by no means an expert (where's Ray?), but you are dealing with two different technologies- roots and screw. Post this in the "blowers" section, and there probably will be better answers.
From what I understand, you'll have to spin that B&M faster to make the same amount of boost, therefore generating more heat and robbing HP. Also, I think the Whipple is a little lower profile, and spools up boost quicker.
Once again, I am by no means an expert.

waterbum
01-15-2002, 08:40 AM
I am currently mulling over the same question.One good point for the pro-charger the boost comes on slowly,referred to as soft horsepower,seems to me this would be much easier on the drive as well as other parts.As far as 750 h.p.,I would probley lower that a bit to 700.I talked to Dean Nickerson and he sugested an mp3 unit with the largest intercooler,this way there's always room for growth,but of course my h.p. is carbed.

Craig
01-15-2002, 10:34 AM
I'd agreee with Havasu hangin', go with the Whipple. The 144 is sized for a small block I thought, the 174 was for a 454, not a 502. The B&M 250 was designed for the 502 and higher hp 454's. The roots/screw style makes boost right now. Mash open the throttle and it's making full boost (for the most part) where as the ProCharger, being a centrifugal design makes boost as a function of rpm, spin more r's you get more boost. Sort of like a turbo. With a bigger boat running a single, you're going to need torque to get it moving, but the downside is the stress on the drive.
Craig
[This message has been edited by Craig (edited January 15, 2002).]
[This message has been edited by Craig (edited January 15, 2002).]

NordicHeat
01-16-2002, 06:59 AM
Hey PowellRunner,
sounds like a great boat. I was working with Ron (the owner of Sleek I believe) and we were really close to ordering the 30; Beautiful boat! A trade situation made us fall into ordering our Heat. Tough decision but we're happy. Just food for thought, there is a guy here locally in Utah that has a 2001 28 ft. Heat with the HP500EFI and a Whipple. It's very well dialed and runs 80 GPS at 4500 ft. and 88 GPS at Mead so figure probably 82 at the 3700 ft. Powell. We are heavy Powell frequenters on the Bullfrog end. Our Heat is powered by a mild 540MPI that produces 580 hp and we run a GPS 70 at Powell. I would think with the 30 Heritage it would be about 5 mph slower than the 28 Heat due to weight and a couple of other factors so I would think that mid 70's at Powell is a realistic goal with the HP500 Whipple. Get the XR drive if it's not too late. It would be a great $2k investment. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not ordering it.
Let me know if you have any other questions
[This message has been edited by NordicHeat (edited January 16, 2002).]

PowellRunner
01-16-2002, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info guys,We decided to upgrade the drive to the ITS system(XR Drive,hydrolic steering,7" setback)then we can boat for a season and see how it does do.I can spend more time learning about different chargers,and options out there.The drive will be able to handle the changes down the road.Who knows maybe it will be fine stock...(who am I kidding? I can't seem to leave anything i own stock!)

waterbum
01-17-2002, 05:27 AM
Anyone know where I can get a blower unit for my 8h.p. snowblower? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif