PDA

View Full Version : Berkley pump rebuild

Jet Novice
11-15-2001, 05:32 AM
Are there any special tools required to rebuild a Berkley pump? Also, how much horsepower can one realistically use with an aluminum impeller before running into problems?

Rocket
11-15-2001, 05:36 AM
Hey I see I am not the only one Kicking around on the east coast this AM the our last post must have hit at the same time.

rivercrazy
11-15-2001, 08:51 AM
I don't think you need much in the way of specialized tools. From what I've heard, you shouldn't throw more than about 500hp at an aluminium impeller or more than about 5600rpm. Go with mag bronze or stainless with bigger power and if you go with the stainless, get it reworked to get the weight down.

wsm9808
11-15-2001, 07:51 PM
The impeller can sometimes be stuck on the shaft. I used one of those good 3 arm pullers with the slide down coller that keeps the arms pinched in tight-- and all it did was rip 3 chunks out of the back of the impeller. CPperformance sells a special puller for impellers. The tool is kind of pricey, but it was the only way mine was coming off. Check your local boat repair shops, one might have a puller and will do it for a small fee. Maybe yours wont be that much trouble. They are not a press fit, but they tend to stick to the shaft over time.
And access to a good shop press will help a whole lot if your going to change the shaft bearing and seal sleeve

Jet Novice
11-16-2001, 05:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Anyone have a link to a "How To" article that does a step by step rebuild on a Berkley? Also, What are the odds of finding a used/rebuilt stainless or bronze impeller or should I just count on buying one new?

Boater Bill
11-16-2001, 08:11 AM
CPperformance (along with others) sells a Berkley book and I think they even have some info on line. Check their website cpperformance.com. In regards to alum impellers I'm running a alum B in a BBC with well over 500hp and turning it up to 6000. Just had my pump rebuilt by our local guru out here and he said I was fine with current parts and I went with his trick setup. Used impellers are dicey, gotta know what your looking at and take good measurements. Hold onto you a** if your looking to buy a stainless one! My advice, pay to have it done right, it only hurts once.

Jet Novice
11-19-2001, 04:31 AM
Thanks BB, thats exactly what I was looking for and more.