PDA

View Full Version : ignition

Posey
06-26-2001, 05:20 AM
I have a '92 Baja with a 502mag.(weber carbed)it has the stock Mercruiser ignition,should I add a better coil or change systems all together. Also does this system have a rev limiter? I seem to get black exhaust on the back of my boat, that tells me I'm not burning all my fuel. Any ideas.
Thanks, Posey

LT1GMC
06-26-2001, 11:48 AM
You should have a Thunderbolt IV on your 92, and it does not have a rev limiter. Lots of boats work real well with the stock setup, but some guys change out to MSD or others because there is not much tunability with the stock setup. If you want to sell your module, let me know, I could use one for a 502.
Also, most all big blocks with thru-hull exhaust get that black soot on the back to some degree, even fuel injected ones. If you want to tune the Weber carb, it is the same as an Edelbrock Performer and as such you can use all the Performer jets and rods.

Boater Bill
06-26-2001, 02:04 PM
If you are not running a K & N air filter set up get one! Have seen this solve the black plague on lots of equiptment. Then start to work on your tune up (carb,plugs,ignition etc).

Posey
06-27-2001, 04:52 AM
Thanks guys for your ideas, I do have an K&N filter on my engine, would a substack help? Also I have changed to a Eldebrock Performer RPM manifold and thought about a 4 hole spacer, will this hurt my top end.
Thanks, Posey

Boater Bill
06-27-2001, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't spend any money on a substack. Like I said, start working on your tune up to get the performance out of your current set up, then start modifying one system at a time. Each mod will require re-tuning but thats half the fun. Also, I'd go with an open spacer if you decide to go that route.
Have fun!

LT1GMC
06-27-2001, 02:29 PM
I'll sell you my Stub Stack!! Seriously, see my post a few days ago about this subject, I can't get mine to work, and I have about the same setup as you.

2Slow
08-07-2001, 04:49 AM
Hi,
I have a strange hesitation problem. My 21' Eliminator has a 1990 454 Magnum
w/carb, runs amazing 81 MPH on GPS. But, after driving for a while then driving in a
"no-wake" zone, it starts to cough, sputter, somtimes back fire, and stalls. I've
visually checked everthing and nothing looks out of wack, and the parts cant be
checked (by my mechanic) becasue they work most of the time. It has the factory
Thurderbolt IV ignition. Thanks for any help.
Originally posted by LT1GMC:
You should have a Thunderbolt IV on your 92, and it does not have a rev limiter. Lots of boats work real well with the stock setup, but some guys change out to MSD or others because there is not much tunability with the stock setup. If you want to sell your module, let me know, I could use one for a 502.
Also, most all big blocks with thru-hull exhaust get that black soot on the back to some degree, even fuel injected ones. If you want to tune the Weber carb, it is the same as an Edelbrock Performer and as such you can use all the Performer jets and rods.