PDA

View Full Version : oxidation

LAFD
05-16-2006, 03:09 PM
my buddy has a boat that has been sitting outside with no cover on fore around 6 to 7 months. so the top half is oxidized pretty bad. anyway he bought some heavy duty oxidation remover and it worked pretty well but still isnt perfect. he has only used the oxidation remover would a after wax help make it shiny? or do we need to wet sand it???

Devilman
05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
my buddy has a boat that has been sitting outside with no cover on fore around 6 to 7 months. so the top half is oxidized pretty bad. anyway he bought some heavy duty oxidation remover and it worked pretty well but still isnt perfect. he has only used the oxidation remover would a after wax help make it shiny? or do we need to wet sand it???
I would think going back with a good wax or glaze, would finish it off.... Had that happen to a truck a few years ago. Left it sitting covered in mud. Killed the friggin paint job, thought it was toast. Guy at the paint shop set me up with some 3M Super Heavy Rubbing Compund & I followed it with Meguier's wax of some sort. It took awhile, but brought it back to like the day I had it painted... Hope that helps ya...

h2oski2fast
05-30-2006, 07:38 PM
I would think going back with a good wax or glaze, would finish it off.... Had that happen to a truck a few years ago. Left it sitting covered in mud. Killed the friggin paint job, thought it was toast. Guy at the paint shop set me up with some 3M Super Heavy Rubbing Compund & I followed it with Meguier's wax of some sort. It took awhile, but brought it back to like the day I had it painted... Hope that helps ya...
Paint and gel are 2 different animals. I would try and find Acid Rain Remover. I'm not sure who makes it (I think it may be ProWax), but that work very well for removing the oxi off the deck. You will need to use a cutting pad on a high speed buffer. After that switch to 3M micro finishing compound with a polishing pad. If you want to take it even further (which I didn't) you can then go back over it again with 3M finesse it II polishing material. I nice wax job (I prefer to use Wax Shop Liquid Hand Glaze) and it'll look good again.

LAFD
05-31-2006, 03:25 PM
thanks for the tips and experiances gunna try to work on it this weekend.

SummitKarl
05-31-2006, 05:52 PM
I am doing this right now
I highly recommend....Meguiar's STEP 1 Deep Crystal cleaner, to be used with a power buffer or it works very well by hand with cotton/terry applicator pads(get allot of pads) they fill up like sand paper with the oxidation. I am VERY PLEASED with my results.
give the boat a dish soap and water bath to remove any excess cleaner and follow up with a paste wax..you will be happy.
if it's really bad try 3M swirl mark remover part no 051131 instead of the Meguiar's

LAFD
06-06-2006, 10:31 AM
I am doing this right now
I highly recommend....Meguiar's STEP 1 Deep Crystal cleaner, to be used with a power buffer or it works very well by hand with cotton/terry applicator pads(get allot of pads) they fill up like sand paper with the oxidation. I am VERY PLEASED with my results.
give the boat a dish soap and water bath to remove any excess cleaner and follow up with a paste wax..you will be happy.
if it's really bad try 3M swirl mark remover part no 051131 instead of the Meguiar's
thanks will try this.