PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Wicked_Tahiti
05-22-2006, 04:42 PM
I just got this boat a few months ago. Iv takin it out a few time. Its great fun, and hella fast.
However the steering seems to be a bit tough. I was told that i can prolly use some lightweight oil (modelers oil) to get it to loosen up a bit. Iv tracked it down to being the cable i believe. I took the connection off the outdrive and its pretty easy to move back and forth, and then i removed it from the wheel and it was also pretty easy to move.
Should i replace the cable, if so, where would i find one for an old pup like this?
or should i check something else to see where its binding?
Also if anyone knows someone in Las Vegas that does good gellcoats i need to have one done i believe.
Thanks in advance
Ben-jamin
any help would be great. Thanks

jimslade
05-26-2006, 05:04 AM
Just replace it. Most marine suppliers will have the cable. There has been few changes over the years. or look for a complete setup, they are not that expensive.

gochappy
05-28-2006, 05:06 PM
the cable has a number on it ...its probably a teleflex..any supplier should be able to get you the number....take the boat to billy b for the gel....definately worth the drive..

Red Horse
05-28-2006, 05:16 PM
Since it is a 79 model, replace the helm and cable all at one shot. I did on mine and no regrets at all. The helm is just a few more bucks than the cable itself.