PDA

View Full Version : What To Do With The Bearings?

Robin Boyer
06-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Hey guys, So like after a few times with the new tire, I looked under the trailor and I can see the righth tire has alot of oil along inside the rim while the other side is still perfectly clean... I am guesing the bearing need to be changed out?
Thank you for any advice on this!

Rexone
06-08-2006, 09:54 PM
You either have an grease seal gone bad (or been overgreased) or brake fluid is leaking from the wheel cylinder (if you have trailer brakes). Either way it needs to come apart and be inspected and fixed.

Flying Tiger
06-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Yep, get'er dun,, nothing sux more that trailer failure on the rd. Ya leave the vacation right where ya pull your rig over.
It's a seal no doubt.
The wheels/bearings are hotter that a big dogs breath and when ya sometimes back into the water, the sudden quenching can cause probs. like this.

pumpercaptain
06-09-2006, 04:36 AM
Since we are talking bearings... I have a dumb question... How much grease should one pump into the hub?
Should it be pretty much even with the front opening of the hub and push out a bit when you pump the grease gun???
I just put new bearings in and new grease. I put several big scoops in the hub before putting it back on, then pumped the grease gun until the whole mess pushed out just a bit around the lock nut and put it all back together.
What say the mechanics???
Word of caution- My buddy just took his trailer to a local "trailer service" place and they were supposed to repack and inspect the bearings.
When he got home he noticed the grease looked the same as it did before it left... He inquired and the guy that "worked" on his trailer said "I don't change the grease in the hub when I do wheel bearing jobs".
Which translates to me he didn't do it, or has done a VERY poor job.
So we did it last night and put all new grease in... marine grease at that.
Be sure the grease someone is putting back in your wheels is marine grade... this stuff they shot in would almost run like a milk shake.
Whats the sense of doing a bearing job if you don't change the old grease too??? Never heard that one before.
Boaters beware... Everyones after an easy buck at our expense.

Kachina26
06-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Maybe you ran over one of them greaseball Italians.....
the middle east! Its a bunch jews and Stupid Arabs!! All they know to do is say Rabble rabble and throw rocks!! Its so disapointing!

olbiezer
06-13-2006, 04:52 PM
should be able to get new grease seal dont for 25 bucks .i had a guy do all 4 and charged me 100 for it....