PDA

View Full Version : Tunnell Hull Help

Brandon
06-20-2006, 04:30 PM
As you'll be able to tell, I've never built a boat before and have no clue where to begin. I recently came across the fiberglass "shell" of a 17' tunnel hull and figured it would be a good place to start. I picked it up for $250 and now not sure what's next. It is only the top and bottom halves rivited together. Still needs to be sealed and strenghthened. I was told it would handle anything up to 175 hp outboard. I was thinking more along the lines of a 140. Either way, I'm not sure how to make it rigid (the right way). I'm afraid to step inside it to clean it out because there is so much flex in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks is advance!!

Lavey Huffer
06-22-2006, 08:29 PM
any pictures you have would help.
Putting new stringers or a floor will stiffen it up ,it's real hard to come up with anything right off the bat.
but dont worry anything is possible,fiberglass repair is not too difficult.

DUCKY
06-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the boards Brandon. Some pics would come in handy, but Lavey is right. you will need to install a transom, stringers and knees, gunnel supports, and toeboard, and a floor if it's truly bare. Most of these item are usually installed while the hull is still in the mold, and before the deck is attached. The biggest problem you will have is getting the shell squared up and keeping that way while you are working on it. If it were me, I would pull the deck back off, and set the hull on nice level concrete to get started. Do not attempt to work on it while it's sitting on a trailer. Feel free to call me if you have any questions or want the support work done.
PS, the "175hp" rule is intended to keep boats under 20 ft insurable. If you do the support work right and reinforce the hull properly, you can put anything you want on it. There are some people I have seen with Merc drag motors(300+ hp) on 15 ft boats. The biggest problem with a small boat/big motor combo is the weight of the motor and how far it is setback from the transom.

Brandon
06-23-2006, 11:17 AM
I'll try to get some pictures of it on here tonight. Thanks so far...