PDA

View Full Version : Need help trying to refinish boat bottom

dgie
06-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Well here is my new project just before the 4th I had flipped my jet boat over and set it on some 4x4 planks about 4 months ago. Now able to start working on the bottom (and only the bottom.) I have already sanded one side, between all chines from fore to aft and am going to start on the other side tomorrow. I have a couple hooks back by the jet and a lot of small nicks that need to be filled. My question is about what to paint the bottom of the boat with, when the glass work is all done. I would go gelcoat, but I am assuming that, that would be a little too involved. I have been checking out various boat bottom paints and was wondering if anyone has used a particular one that works good on jet boats, I have also seen that people are using a roller to put this stuff on, let me know, I am eager to get this project finnished, but not in a hurry so much as to screw it up. Thanks in advance.

EXTREMEBOATS
06-30-2006, 08:14 PM
First of all... You said "hooks" in the bottom. Befor you do anything research your boat. Some are built with a hook. Most out board hulls have a bit of hook to help . Dont know about squirt boats... As for what to use, a good urathane enamel will hold up if care is used. Regelling is to best but way more work then your ready for. Good luck and if you have questions please call.
Mike

martan
11-27-2006, 06:52 AM
I wouldn't put paint down on the bottom of a boat because it doesn't hold up well to trailering. It also doesn't do well to being run up onto the beach and you can't leave it in the water AND often times just the water trapped between the bunks and the hull will blister when using any enamel. The easiest thing to use would be an epoxy. Its completely water proof. It gets extremely hard and if you can spray it on it is fairly smooth. If you roll it on you must sand a little between each coat to keep it from getting grainy and before the last coat I usually sand it all smooth. It's still a lot faster than gel coat or paint and you can leave the boat in the water indefinitely. Once its all done the bottom is usually has a slight gloss to it.
www.bowkersfiberglass.com