PDA

View Full Version : Speed sking

Thunderbutt
03-27-2002, 03:19 PM
I am a transplant from CA to the Lake of the Ozarks. Every year in August they have what they call the Ozark Shootout. It is a kilo run, one boat at a time on the clock. Kilo races are kinda like watching the grass grow, not too exciting. So I thought I'd try to spice it up a little. I contacted the people in charge of the race and asked if they would permit a boat to pull a water skier,(at 80 or 90 MPH or more. His reply was if you know someone that can ski that fast bring them on. This has been going on for 2 years now. First I tried to talk Hot Boat into premoting it by asking some of the Californa ski teams to come back; that didn't work so now I'm trying Power Boat to do the same thing; so far I have nothing. The people here have never heard of Speed Sking. 85% of the boats at the Shootout don't come near to triple diget speed. They would blow their mind to see a boat pulling a skier at that speed. This is my last try!

burtandnancy
03-27-2002, 03:38 PM
thunderbutt
A few years ago this would have been right up my alley, but I've sold all my ski-race boats. But knowing how much fun LOTO is, and how great this would be for the sport, please contact someone in the So Cal Ski Clubs, such as: NSWSA. Here are a few contact names who have the in's: Ron Tesarski, Custom Canvas, (909) 981-7179,
Gary Teague (909) 982-8391 and Cheryl Rustin
(714) 994-4572 This is real exciting, if you have trouble making contacts e-mail me at burtandnancy@aol.com. I'm almost ready to buy a boat and do this myself...

ratso
03-27-2002, 07:39 PM
I'll up you one...a few years back at the AquaFest in Austin, Texas we saw a guy barefoot at what they claimed to be near 100 mph, looked more like 80, but THAT takes some balls.

old rigger
03-27-2002, 08:22 PM
years ago at the marine staudium we saw a guy with one leg get pulled through the 1/4 mile behind, if I remember right, a Rogers at 90mph and change. He did it just for an exhibition type run........

BADAXE
03-27-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by old rigger:
years ago at the marine staudium we saw a guy with one leg get pulled through the 1/4 mile behind, if I remember right, a Rogers at 90mph and change. He did it just for an exhibition type run........
Maybe Burt knows more about it but I used to go down the the marine stadium for the Endo's speed ski nationals. Saw Graig Wendt go 135mph through the traps behind a blown fuel flat bottom. Used to live down the street from Mike Bemis in Lake Arrowhead. I am pretty sure he broke 100mph barefoot a couple of times. Wild stuff!

ratso
03-28-2002, 06:00 AM
Chunk the skis and barefoot at triple digits...even I'll drop what I'm doing to go see that s**t.

Thunderbutt
03-28-2002, 07:10 AM
Burt, I've talked to people At Schiada, Long Beach ski club, Rex Marine. Power Boat is coming back for this event so I thought they might get involved. I would like to get Mike Avila to bring his twin Huffer boat, but I don't no how to reach him. If anyone knows him let me know QUOTE]Originally posted by burtandnancy:
thunderbutt
A few years ago this would have been right up my alley, but I've sold all my ski-race boats. But knowing how much fun LOTO is, and how great this would be for the sport, please contact someone in the So Cal Ski Clubs, such as: NSWSA. Here are a few contact names who have the in's: Ron Tesarski, Custom Canvas, (909) 981-7179,
Gary Teague (909) 982-8391 and Cheryl Rustin
(714) 994-4572 This is real exciting, if you have trouble making contacts e-mail me at burtandnancy@aol.com. I'm almost ready to buy a boat and do this myself...[/QUOTE]

spectras only
03-28-2002, 08:31 AM
Jim, Contact Brian or Darrin Davidson at ***boat to get in contact with Avila. Wish I could be at the race http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

burtandnancy
03-28-2002, 09:13 AM
Thunderbutt
You're on the right track. Mike Avila drives the twin NASCAR powered Wellscraft. Try Marty Wells (awesome skier) out in Colton. What a show that would be! Good luck...

Thunderbutt
03-31-2002, 03:42 PM
Attila, I tried talking to Hot Boat last year because they were here for the shootout the previous year. I called Brett Payne, he told me he had never been to a Ski race and didn't know what I was talking about, so much for a writer for Hot Boat, desk jocky. If eather one of these magazines would permote something like this it would sell in this area. These people are open for boat racing, but it has to be a little more exciting then a Kilo race, they need something different. Like I said it's like watching grass grow. UOTE]Originally posted by spectras only:
Jim, Contact Brian or Darrin Davidson at ***boat to get in contact with Avila. Wish I could be at the race http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif[/QUOTE]

BadBoyzSkiRacer
05-04-2002, 07:20 AM
go to www.southern80.com.au (http://www.southern80.com.au)
you will see top line aussie water ski racers doing well into the tripple digits. they have posted results for the BEST waterski race in thwe world. 50 miles long down a river no more then 4 lane highway.
there r over 400 boats race in one day one boat away every minute.aussie go wild for speed racing. back in 2000 at the worlds in the USA aussies took out all major placings. all behind twin turbo big bolcks

BadBoyzSkiRacer
05-04-2002, 07:24 AM
also go to the pic forum & check out some of the aussie boats, GOD GIFT is a 21 footer with 1500 ph all alloy 481 rodeck pushing this racer to 137 mph but no one can hang on at that speed . we have several top line aussie water ski racers that can hang on at 115mph for about 30 miles before the boat has to slow .. no one can hang on much longer at those speeds. there r 20 or more guys here that can easy do 105 pmh on a ski but that;s it... enjoy the pic's guys

BadBoyzSkiRacer
05-04-2002, 08:03 AM
pic's r here guys... http://free.***boat.net/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Reader_Rides/V-Drives&img=60
if anyone wants some ski race boat pic's or videos of water ski racing aussie style just email me at
badboyz38@dingoblue.net.au
safe boating all regards Steve

superdave013
05-04-2002, 08:20 AM
Did you guys hear about this. I hope they are ok. If anyone has an update let us know.
4 HURT IN BOAT CRASH (from www.havasunews.com) (http://www.havasunews.com))
by ANN W. HAGERTY
Two Lake Havasu City residents were air-evacuated to a Las Vegas hospital Saturday morning following a boating accident on Lake Havasu south of the city.
Frederick Lathrop, 42, and his daughter, Ashley, 18, were flown to University Medical Center after the mishap occurred near Pilot Rock.
Mohave County Sheriff’s spokesman Jarrod Lyman said that Lathrop’s boat, a 20-foot ski-type, was traveling southbound at about 70 mph when some mechanical problem caused the 9:40 a.m. accident. Lathrop was piloting the boat, while his daughter water-skied behind it, Lyman said. Joseph Carter, 39, also of Lake Havasu City, and Erin Gwynn Saunders, 18, of Agoura Hills, Calif., were passengers in the vessel.
According to a spokesperson for Havasu Regional Medical Center, Saunders was still being treated in the emergency room on Saturday afternoon, and Carter was in stable condition and had been discharged from the hospital.

burtandnancy
05-04-2002, 12:44 PM
Superdave,
Yea, Rick and Ashley hurt pretty bad. Rick had open heart and a pace maker intalled, Ashley a broken collar bone. Gary Smith of the 46 Skaker fame and his crew did the in the water rescue. That had to be something, as you know how big Rick is. Stay tuned...

superdave013
05-04-2002, 01:49 PM
burtandnancy, Do you know what caused the crash. Almost sounds like he had heart trouble? Or was it a problem with the boat?

SK48
05-05-2002, 06:38 AM
Heard that they had a steering failure. I don't know any details.

burtandnancy
05-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Don't want to say too much as its all 2nd hand. Yes, there was some kind of mechanical failure, could be steering, motor or a trim tab. The boat (brand X) had twin outboatds (brand XY). Rick has either broken neck or back, don't know for sure. The reason for the pacemaker (rev limiter to you boaters) was his heart was running way too fast. According to witness's the boat spun out, did not flip. Some people came out, some stayed in. As most of the ski racers are in Pittsburg this week-end, we'll probably get more info next week...

SK48
05-07-2002, 06:33 PM
Any update on how Rick & Ashley are doing???
Rick sounds pretty serious, hope all is well.