PDA

View Full Version : New Strut Bushings

Fired Up
12-30-2001, 10:50 PM
I just pulled the old (fiber) bushings from the strut on my flat. The front bushing was pretty well worn smooth. The rear bushing was not worn nearly as much. My question is how long should the bushings be? The old ones are 2" and 2 1/4". Is that long enough for high performance use? Do I have to polish or hone them or is there a break in procedure before I stick my brand new (1" dia.) shaft in?

Just-Jettin
12-31-2001, 01:02 AM
When buying strut bushing material it will come in a 4" length or so. Just cut it in half and you will be just fine. There is no break-in procedure for new bushings whether your prop shaft is new or old.

Fired Up
01-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Well I got the new bushings in. But the new shaft will not slide in with any ease. It would seem to me that the compression of the strut barrel on the bushing is just enough to make the diameter smaller. Suggestions anyone...?

Jetboatguru
01-09-2002, 09:37 AM
Sam, the strut Bushing gets compressed and tightens up the clearance. You need to get some sand paper or a round file and start hogging out the bushing. Much easier done when the bushing is out of the strut. Nonetheless, get busy filing or sanding away. Go just far enough to snugly force the prop shaft through. Twist it as you push it through the strut. It will be slightly tedious.

Fired Up
01-11-2002, 11:31 PM
JBG,
Thanks. I slid the bushing on the shaft BEFORE I installed it. It went on very smoothly. It did compress once installed in the strut though. I'll start the sanding this weekend. I picked up some 15% and 18% gears this week. 135.00 each set.

Jetboatguru
01-14-2002, 10:06 AM
Sam, I am still trying to get my friend to decide whether or not he is selling his motor. It would be the perfect piece for you.

Costello
01-14-2002, 03:58 PM
Has anyone used the turcit strut bushings that Jim Wilkes mentioned in Hot Boat a few months ago? I'd just like to know if they are worth the extra money, the pros and cons etc. vs rubber or fiber.

spectras only
01-14-2002, 04:04 PM
Costello, I replaced my turcit bushing with the fiber one.The turcit bushing had 500 hours use out of, before started to vibrate ,caused by the wear.My friend selling the fibre ones for decades with no less maintenance life.I think it's personal preference.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited January 14, 2002).]

Costello
01-15-2002, 08:15 PM
Thank you Spectrasonly, 500 hours is a ton!! I know from my experience that I have gotten anything near that with the fiber. I'm going to try the turcit.

Fired Up
01-16-2002, 10:34 PM
Well,I have been honing away on these bushings. The first (lower) one I was finally able to sand enough to get the shaft to slide in reasonably easy. I used small sanding wheels made of both #320 paper and emery cloth that resemble fans and fit inside the strut perfectly. The upper bushing is more difficult. It almost seems to be slighlty out of alignment with the lower bushing. When I slide the shaft in it does not hit square in the middle of the upper bushing. I have to put downward pressure on the shaft while I twist it and try pushing it in. I do not want to sand all the fiber out of the bushings. How much honing is acceptable? Do I just keep honing until the shaft slides in freely? If anyone remembers it was a real pain in the neck getting the old shaft out.

spectras only
01-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Fired up ,you shouldn't have to hone at all.Something is out of line.Have you checked your shaft for straightness? Your strut may have been hit by grounding.I've straightened many struts with hydraulic press and had no problem installing a straight shaft after that.You may have to remove your strut and checked by a shop.You may just have to buy a new glenwood strut and get over with.If you lived here in Vancouver I could help you out in no time,sorry.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited January 16, 2002).]

Snowboat
01-17-2002, 08:45 AM
Don't sand the lubrication grooves completely out.

Fired Up
01-17-2002, 01:48 PM
The lubrication grooves are still there. This is a brand new prop shaft from aquamet. When removing the strut is there any type of load on it from inside of the boat? There are some strut braces above it. I do not want to remove it if there is some sort of alignment other than the bolt holes.

howard69
01-17-2002, 02:45 PM
My flat has locknuts on the top and flathead screw that come up from the bottom. You have to remove the locknuts before you can take the strut off.

Fired Up
01-18-2002, 10:55 PM
Just like mine. Is there a preload or any special alignment with the strut brace inside the boat that will change. Or is it a simple remove and replace operation.

howard69
01-19-2002, 12:29 PM
remove and replace was it for me.