PDA

View Full Version : Steering and Rudder

V-Kid
01-26-2002, 09:41 PM
Ive never been in a boat faster than 50 and that was in a deep V outboard but I imagine it could be snaky in a flatie at 70 or 80 so my question is? Our boat has a gear and chain to a pully and then a system of pullies with cable to the rudder all the pullies are corroded and damaged, Is there a better system available.If not can these damaged parts still be purchased
Kid

superdave013
01-26-2002, 10:07 PM
Believe it or not the cable system is the best. I wish my Schiada had it. You can still get all the parts. Rex Marine has everything. Eddie and CP also have the stuff. Or you can go through Jim Wilkes at Wilkes Marine in Santa Anna, CA. He can be very helpful at setting things up on your boat.
One little hint. Don't use hardware store cable or turnbuckles.

superdave013
01-26-2002, 10:12 PM
Oh, I just noticed you are in Canada. Spectras Only is up in the great white north too. I believe he works in a shop California Custom Marine. If not he has close ties with them. He can get you all the hardware too.

spectras only
01-26-2002, 11:00 PM
V-kid , Dave [california marine]is sipping margaritas in mexico right now ,give him a call after the 5th of feb.He would guide you through to setup your boat,or get you the parts you need.He's Ph; 604-278 1880. Winter hours are 10:00am to 4:00pm ,tuesday to friday.If you can't get through ,let me know and I'll e-mail you his home number.He loves old boats and to talk about them!

VD CRUISER
01-27-2002, 01:36 PM
Superdave,
What type steering do you plan to use in the 20er ? I use a Rideguide single cable, in my 21 Howard. I'm with you I would like to have the cable and pulley system. Have you ever seen one in the 20' or 21'?

schiada96
01-27-2002, 03:34 PM
I'd like to try a hyd system you sure could make it clean and easy

superdave013
01-27-2002, 07:06 PM
VD Cruiser, My boat has the dual morese steering in it. It's a pretty heave duty set up. Much larger than the ones I see on most boats. It works ok so I'll stick with it. That and the running gear and cav plate hardware are the only things I'm keeping.
Schiada96, have you ever driven a River Cruiser with hyd. steering? I have seen them with the external rudders. It looks like a real slick set up. I hear they handle good with the rudder farther back. I have driven some fast outboards with the hyd steering and didn't like it. I guess I would get uesed to it but you get no feed back in the wheel. An it seemed like I had to turn the wheel more. Felt pretty strange to me.

boatguy222
01-27-2002, 07:50 PM
VD crusier
I've got the cable steering in my 20'er. It works pretty well, it has ALOT of torque Steer when Iam running the 3 blade prop, but with the 2 blade it runs like it's on rails, I think that the rudder is to big.
I think the hyd. steering the Schiada96 talked about would be the way to go.
Marc

schiada96
01-27-2002, 08:14 PM
SD no I haven't driven one set up like that it just looks cool. When I got my hull from Lee it had the floor almost all the way to the transom like yours. I could have gone the outboard steering route but I would have had to cut the floor. My first hull to rig so I figured I better take the easy route. I chose to use a dual morse system. I think you can still get parts from Rex , cables should be around for awhile. How is the motor comming? Did I hear right that you threw away your tanks we could powder coat.

Infomaniac
01-27-2002, 08:26 PM
V-Kid In addition to where Superdave mentioned. Bergeron Engineering is one of my favorite places to buy parts. Mesa AZ. (480)-834-1531. Keep that system, just repair it.

Backfire
01-27-2002, 08:42 PM
I had a 21' v-drive whaler a few years back which I put cable and pulley steering in, and although I liked the one turn lock-to-lock, it drove like a big-rig without power steering (I know because I've driven a few of those also!)

V-Kid
01-27-2002, 08:47 PM
Thanks Guys!!!!!!
We really appreciate the info and corospondence that weve been having in the short time weve been involved in this forum its . my son is 15 and the forum has super charged his passion for the project, we will be looking forward to meeting some or a lot of you guys at a big meet this summer.
Kid

superdave013
01-27-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by schiada96:
How is the motor comming? Did I hear right that you threw away your tanks we could powder coat.
Well I got shipped the wrong intake again. So that's holding me up some.
I did finally get a set of headers I can live with. I went through 5 sets of good used ones before I found some keepers. They are not perfect but will do. That guys idea of a small dent or scratch is different than mine! I'll get busy on the flanges for the turbos soon. I also now have a good idea on where to place the oil returns in the pan so I'll get those welded up this week.
I kept the tanks too. The powder coat is not to bad on them now. So you can powder coat right at your shop? That place sounds pretty imperssive. I will have to come up there and check it out someday.

schiada96
01-28-2002, 09:01 AM
Sd be sure to use a big drain on the turbos
-10 or bigger. I put the return in the pan above the oil level about an inch and right inline with the center main.

hottrodder
01-28-2002, 04:03 PM
SD013: About turbo flanges. I've got a friend, Andy, in Pasadena who recently bought a water jet machine and is working on trying to get together some CAD drawings of templates for making SS parts. I do CAD stuff for an engineering company and drew up these wastegate brackets and flanges for him to make for my Vector. I know you know lots about machining and surely more than I. I guess this water jet machine will cut pretty much anything and everything at real precise tolerances. You should give him a call and get a SS pair of these.
Myers Machining
These attachments are in PDF format and I haven't tried this before so let's see if it works.
http://www.hottrodd.com/images/boats/misc/5213.pdf
http://www.hottrodd.com/images/boats/misc/5282.pdf
[This message has been edited by hottrodder (edited January 28, 2002).]

Bluefin
01-28-2002, 06:45 PM
V-Kid: I have a bunch of steering components if you are interested. Cable, Chain, Sprocket, Steering post, Pulleys, Rudder, Turnbuckles & Cable locks, the doodad that attaches to the dash for the steering post to go through. I have a Quadrant too. Send an EM to mdc1@micron.net.
Bluefin.
[This message has been edited by Bluefin (edited January 28, 2002).]