PDA

View Full Version : Any Mopar fans.......??

grimreaper
04-09-2002, 10:27 AM
I am looking to put together a BB wedge powered cruiser/gate-shot type boat that will run about 60 mph or so - to run up here on a small lake in MI ...THEN to the huge Douglas Lake in eastern TN ........ suggestions? parts? boats?...........

MoJetBoPar
04-10-2002, 07:27 PM
Dude,
Good luck finding Mopar enthusiasts here. The 3 guys you found (including myself) on the Jet Performance page are it.
Mopars are just not very popular in the ***boat world. Fords & Chevys seem to be the rage. Maybe if the Hemi wasn't so costly, and for years out of productio, it would have stayed popular in the racing ranks.
It's probably since the last year the 440 was made was in 78 and most consider it a memory.

wsuwrhr
04-10-2002, 07:38 PM
The 440 is not a memory,,,,laughs.
Brian

grimreaper
04-10-2002, 08:33 PM
Dude?....... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif - the Mopar power-plant was NEVER a real popular piece to begin with - I realize that!....that is why I want one.....and I suspect that this is the reason why you chose it too.
B - and I understand on your end....having to pull the engine to change oil !!
STILL looking for that hull with V or jet drive !! ex-Chevy, Ford or Olds powered OK !!

Kurtis500
04-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Heres one! I am a mopar fan and run two. A 383 in my flat and a hemi in my hydro. They are not that hard to find parts for if you want to use the B or RB motors. My 383 has been more reliable than any of my friends boat motors. They are a lot cheaper to build up to street/strip specs than most think.. Parts availability is the biggest difference, and some HP parts are a little more $.
HEMI's are the only engine to dominate a class(es) of racing for so many years. TF for example. They are just too expensive. My most recent example is when ordering a cam from Clay Smith last week. The lady on the phone quoted me $135. I told her George said $175, her response; "No, all our cams are $135...(looking at the price sheet).....oh wait, you have a hemi? thats right, they are $175" Oh well, whats $40 bucks anyways? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

LeE ss13
04-12-2002, 06:50 AM
I ran a 426 Hemi in a Biesemeyer (Circle boat and Ski Racing) in the '70s and early 80s. It was very intimadating. Of course to make it run well you had to live, eat, and sleep Mopar. Boat related parts were mostly custom made, except for the bell housing which I still have. My good friend ran a 440 in his flatbottom for years until he sold it last year and bought a boring family boat (a BFB). You know the kind with lots of freeboard and the steering wheel on the wrong side. Too bad. Don't fret though... there are a few Mopar flats still out there. (they might still be in hiding).
--------
LeE ss13

Kurtis500
04-12-2002, 06:55 AM
Yep, I'll have my 383 in a Hondo flat at the V-drive regatta this year.

grimreaper
04-12-2002, 11:22 AM
NICE to see all these Mopar guyz and those who appreciate them to a degree......dig around in the garage and parts bins and let me know what you have......throw this Dude who is starting from square one "a bone" !!

wsuwrhr
04-12-2002, 04:04 PM
I still stand attention to Mopars. I grew out of fast street cars since I live in Ca, with all the bullshit-insurance/smog/speed related problems. I graduated to boats after two summers spent in Havasu. Luckily I have my own machine shop so whatever I can't buy, or find too expensive, I just make it.
[This message has been edited by wsuwrhr (edited April 23, 2002).]

socalaquaholic
04-23-2002, 05:56 PM
hey, i have a 18 ft. flattie w/ a 440, its not my choice of powerplants, but i would have run whatever was in the boat i ended up with . its caused a few problems, but i can only blame that on the prick i bought it from, but its coming along and ive made a handfull of speed passes and i like it more and more

wsuwrhr
04-23-2002, 08:08 PM
Do you have any pictures of your 440 flattie?
Did you buy this flattie to keep, or to have fun with?
Brian
[This message has been edited by wsuwrhr (edited April 23, 2002).]

infotraker
04-24-2002, 10:16 AM
I have a 440 bored 60 over in a 1968 Schiada flat. I built the boat in '68 and still run it today ! I have recently got into a Sanger ski hydro so will work on the Schiada to get it back to prime shape.

MoJetBoPar
04-24-2002, 10:40 AM
"Did you buy this flattie to keep, or to have fun with?"
My problem is that I like to do both of the above. Keep them and have fun using it.
I'm currently looking at a 17' flattie w/440. It's a good looker but needs work (steering). It's more than I want to spend but what isn't.

wsuwrhr
04-24-2002, 04:18 PM
Where in the heck do you guys find boats with Mopar power? Tell me where.....
Brian

MoJetBoPar
04-25-2002, 07:34 PM
Brian,
I wish I knew where to find Mopar powered flat-bottom boats on a regular basis.
I'm looking for a 4 seater, 18'-19', and this one is a 17' ex-racer (2 person/bench). There isn't much too choose from, but they're out there if you're patient.
I found my 18' Mantra jet (w/361 B-motor) in the local paper and the guy never mentioned the type of motor in the ad. Got over there and he told me it was a 318! I saw the tach. drive distributor mounted on the front of the motor and that was the first major clue of how much the guy knew.

Costello
04-25-2002, 08:15 PM
I shared my Mopar story on here a while ago, so for those who remember forgive me. My first boat 6 years ago was a 383 powered 1968 Sanger flat. I bought it for $2500 and gradually stepped it up in performance and reliability. It blew a head gasket, needed a fuel pump, iginition, etc. when I got it. After I took care of the nitty gritty stuff, that thing was so bullet proof. You could run it all day long pedal to the wood and never have any problems. It ran right around 70 mph after I got it all dialed in. I needed to finish a Hydro project and my wife wasn't too happy about 2 boats in the garage, so I sold it for $2000 in great shape (even repainted!) to a party cat that lived local. He ran the dog snot out of it for a couple of years that I know of without anything but a Mallory ignition module going away on him. Great engine that 383, just tough to find marine parts for it.

MoJetBoPar
04-26-2002, 03:43 AM
Costello,
That was me you had told that story to. And it still tears me up. I'd still like to find your old Sanger, it would be exactly what I'm looking for.
I've got a 383 that I've rellentlessly flogged in my 69 RR for 8 years and could not break. It was well used when I got it. I finally gave up and pulled it to try something else (440). With the factory steel crank, forged rods and the long rod/short stroke configuration anything below 6000 rpm is well within it's operating range. That 383 will probably spend some time in my jet before a 440 goes in.

Kurtis500
04-26-2002, 12:57 PM
Ditto on my 383 Chrysler. I bought it in the Hondo flat 9 years ago and it has been bulletproof. No problems at all. Well, except for one, I overheated it and the freeze plug popped out directly above my friends foot. OUCH. Nasty burn with skin hanging off.. Anyways, the impellor shredded and caused that, I had a temperature guage on the passenger side and not one on the right. 383's dont cross over, so remember to get 2 guages! I cant count the ski trips in that boat where it held 3500 rpm for 15 miles in the past 9 years. High Performance stuff is just too expensive for the wedge motors though.

GasTurbine
05-01-2002, 07:59 AM
Heh heh...
One of our early rides was a 1970 18' Rogers with Chrysler hi-power hemi, mated with a 6v-71 blower.
It was pushed by a Berkley AA jet, and was one of the first river boats in Columbus to break 100mph in 1972.
Sold it in '84, but have some early pics...Ill try to post them later.

BradP
05-01-2002, 01:07 PM
Anyone need an OEM tunnel ram for a 383 with duel Edelbrock 660'S?