PDA

View Full Version : Transmission cooler and winterizing????

DANS66STEVENS
10-05-2001, 06:50 PM
Help???? I just bought this boat. It has a turbo-400 trans. How do I go about getting the water out of the cooler? I was told to just blow it out with air. I tried it but got very little water out. Also the C-500 Casale is water cooled and Im just wondering if I should be doing something to that.
My other V-Drive is direct drive so I never had to worry about the cooler.
Im in Up-State N.Y. so it gets real cold!!!!! It has to be done right or I will have a mess in the spring. Thanks in advance!!!!!

superdave013
10-06-2001, 12:12 AM
The water should drain out of your C-500 case but I would disconnect the lines to make sure they are dry. I would do the same for the trans cooler. but what do i know, in So Calif we use our boats in the winter somewhat. Hey did you get any extra gears with you boat?? Also I have some info on your c-500 you might want. I will send it to you but your e-mail address is no good. Keeps getting returned!

DANS66STEVENS
10-06-2001, 02:43 AM
No I don't have any extra gears. Like a dummy I had my C-500 apart and never checked the gear ratio. So im not even sure what I got.
I think im going to blow it out again and then fill it with antifreeze. That should take care of it I hope. When it gets down to like -30 it tends to ruin stuff thats not winterized right. First I drain the block and manifolds.Then I fill them with antifreeze.
I own five boats so it looks like a marina around here. The neighbors are starting to talk. LOL
My e-mail is DANZRT@WEBTV.NET

Snowboat
10-13-2001, 05:45 PM
My boats don't have a transmission but this is how I winterize. I have access to used antifreeze from work. I pull my pickup hose and install another one, long enough to reach a five gallon bucket, full of antifreeze. Fire it up and run a little longer than the time it takes for it to run out the exhaust. It takes about three gallons and is good to -40'. Then I pull a line to the v drive, if it is water cooled, and dump some, with a hose and funnel, until its full. This is for the ones that have a separate pickup, not fed off of the engine water pump.