PDA

View Full Version : Some Pics

DetroitJim
11-21-2001, 11:43 AM
I'm posting pics so I can make it through the winter. The motor's already out and it SNOWED last night!
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/036/u7/NP/GL/5b76156.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/1R/4N/tw/5i84026.jpg
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/014/D3/sL/HH/5m47743.jpg

MoJetBoPar
11-21-2001, 12:10 PM
Very nice Detroit Jim!
That's a beautiful boat.
I have a 18' Mantra Jet that has nearly the same styling. Bubble deck and barrel/rolled transom.
I'm looking for a v-drive hull to fix up. If you happen to know anyone, I'm about 45 minutes NW of Detroit.

Jim S
11-21-2001, 12:45 PM
I like the boat! I am also about 45 minutes NW of Detroit (Commerce). Where do you folks in Southeast Michigan do your boating? Is the Saginaw River suitable? I am looking for a river like (don't really like lakes) place to run my ski racer. I normally do my lake boating on Orchard Lake. If you have any favorites please let me know.
Thank you.
Jim

DetroitJim
11-21-2001, 08:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm over in Troy. You need to hook up with the Michigan Hot Boat club, we have almost 90 boats now. I have applications. We go all over, AuSable River & Muskegon River meets are awesome. I go to Cass, Belleville, Ford, Pontiac lakes during the week. I'm looking into running the Thornapple river and Grand river next year. Ever been there?
Not too many v-drives around here. I do run across one now and then, are you looking for a cheap resto, or a nice hull? My experience is that restoring a beater is way too much work and money. There was a guy in Grand Rapids selling a sharp former drag boat. I'll check on it.
Jim

MoJetBoPar
11-22-2001, 05:50 AM
Det. Jim,
Yeah, I've got a couple phone #'s for the MHBA and haven't been able to do anything yet. Last summer was spent converting to Edelbrock log manifolds to get the boat a little more family orientated. Next summer it will be ready.
My current boat looks like it was an ex-race hull. Sponsorship labeling faded into the transom jel-coat. I'd like to find a late 60's to late 70's ex-race hull to domesticate and use for top speed runs. really need a 4 seater though. I'm into a 60's retro thing and want multiple carbs and lots of polished aluminum. But a hull with no motor and minimal rot would be a great start. Unfortunately, "cheapo resto" defines my life-style.

Unchained
11-22-2001, 06:36 AM
Det. Jim, I have run the Grand River from the middle of Grand Rapids to the Thornapple river outlet many times. Its a great run that goes for over 10 miles. I have run it open header many times. You can hear the engine roaring for miles around. I have seen people standing on the end of their dock and give you the thumbs up as you blast by. Maybe it wasn't their thumb. The area is so sparce that there is hardly any one around to complain. I don't know if a prop drive boat would be advisable because there are some areas that have stumps and rocks. Maybe after a lot of rain and the river was high.
If someone wants a boat checked out in Grand Rapids give me a call and I will go look at it for you. I can thoroughly insult the owner to prepare for your purchase.

Dimarco Kid
12-02-2001, 04:50 PM
Hey Jim,
I was wondering, I'm in the market for a new tow rig. How's that tractor pull? Good mileage? LOL
Had to make a joke, it's snowed up here in Maine too. Kinda drives ya crazy sometimes!
D Kid

PE857
12-03-2001, 05:55 AM
that is a pretty boat. we used to have an ADBA drag race in Grand Rapids. Hated to lose it Was a great place to race and lots of nice people.

Railton1
12-03-2001, 02:28 PM
Hey Detroit Jim,
Does your Sanger still have the aluminum rub stip installed?