PDA

View Full Version : Oil Drain Cock ????

Dans66Stevens
03-22-2002, 07:40 PM
Has anybody ever had the balls to try one of these drain cocks for the oil pan? I think for the oil change thing it would be slick. I just wonder how safe it is? Anyone have any input. Summitt sells this thing. Im the guy who when changing oil has to wear half of it. I think it would be slick to hook-up a hose and drain the oil. Thanks

ratso
03-23-2002, 05:28 AM
We have installed a couple and they have been fine. Normally we pump it out through the dipstick but for someone doing their own, the drain should work just fine.

superdave013
03-23-2002, 07:18 AM
Dan, My last boat had (and the schiada will have) a bulkhead fitting going thru the transom by the bilge drain that was connected to the pan. My last one had a -16 (installed by the person before me) with a cap on it. I plan to use a -12 this time. Anyway ya just remove the cap, attach a hose to a bucket. Open the valve and let it rip. No mess and no pumping thru the dipstick. If you use a nice big hose it drains real quick.
Before that I used the trash bag method.
Ratso, what kind of pump do you use for the dipstick method? I have tried that and it just takes for ever and I never know if I got it all. I guess 14 qts of 60 weight was not helping.

Thunderbutt
03-23-2002, 11:42 AM
Dan, The 14 qt. Avaid pan I installed in 1972 has a -8 an fitting. If I had to do over I'd put in a #12. Like Dave said the 60weight oil takes a while.

nastyhabit
03-23-2002, 12:13 PM
hey what is a better way ive got the same 14qts of 60weight i could run the moter with the oil plug open and not loose any except through the intake and the block by the distrib that started leaking any one got good ideas for sealing a tall block w/block adapters ---nasty

ratso
03-23-2002, 03:19 PM
superdave013: JABSCO makes the pump and bucket kit #17800-2000. I sell them for around $175. They make one you can hook up to a drill but don't waste your money on that one. An oil drain kit is around $45. It helps if you warm up your motor prior to pumping it out from the dipstick.

superdave013
03-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ratso:
superdave013: JABSCO makes the pump and bucket kit #17800-2000. I sell them for around $175. They make one you can hook up to a drill but don't waste your money on that one. An oil drain kit is around $45. It helps if you warm up your motor prior to pumping it out from the dipstick.
That Jabsco pump for the drill is what I used. You're right, it was a waste. I liked my drill to much to finsh the job.
Those oil hose kits you can buy I think are to small also. I know they have to be to fit out the bilge. The banjo fitting they have doesn't help much. My schiada had that when I bought it. I guess for most people it would be ok as they only change their oil one time per season or so. With the blown and turbo engines I run I change it allot. That -16 would drain 14 qts right now. I hope the -12 will still be pretty fast.
So where is your shop located? If you in So Cal I'ed like to check it out.

ratso
03-23-2002, 04:10 PM
Sorry SD013...We are in Texas my friend.

Dans66Stevens
03-23-2002, 07:03 PM
The thing im talking about is in the Summitt catolog. It is a small valve that screws into the oil drain plug hole. It has a lock that keeps it closed. Has anyone tried one of these? You just hook up a hose and drain the engine. And those drill pumps SUCK THE BAG........Makes a oil change a real big long process.

schiada96
03-23-2002, 07:36 PM
Sd has the right idea. Ive got 3 foot - 8 line on the oil pan, just run it thru the drain plug pop the cap put the line into a bucket come back the next morning. Too easy no mess. It costs alot less than the kits.

Dans66Stevens
03-23-2002, 08:17 PM
Ok how does it connect the to the pan? I only have the one drain hole. Tell me more...

Thunderbutt
03-24-2002, 07:38 AM
If your talking about a stock oil pan. Take it to a shop that makes oil pans and have the bottom hole pluged and add a hole with an An fitting on the front ( on a v-drive motor)at the vary bottom.

Dans66Stevens
03-24-2002, 09:07 AM
Thanks Thunder but im not having a bung welded in my chrome pan.....

Dans66Stevens
03-24-2002, 09:11 AM
Has anybody been reading what Im trying to find out????????? Has anyone ever used the little valve in Jegs or Summit that has a little handle you just turn to let out the OIL??? You just slide a hose on and it has a lock you just push it down and turn it. Holy Smokes Bat-Man. I wasn't looking for a away to weld something. I know I can do that......
HELP!!!!!!!!

ratso
03-24-2002, 09:19 AM
Excuuuuuuuuuse us...Nope, haven't used it.

superdave013
03-24-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens:
Has anybody been reading what Im trying to find out????????? Has anyone ever used the little valve in Jegs or Summit that has a little handle you just turn to let out the OIL??? You just slide a hose on and it has a lock you just push it down and turn it. Holy Smokes Bat-Man. I wasn't looking for a away to weld something. I know I can do that......
HELP!!!!!!!!
Sorry Dan, I seemed to have gotten a thread off track again. My bad
I never even seen that part. Could you post a link to it. I'ed like to check it out.
The set up I'm talking about needs no welding. Threads right into the drain that is already in your pan.

Dans66Stevens
03-24-2002, 11:24 AM
Dave I now know what your talking about. I just got off the phone with a friend who just bought a new boat that has the thing you were talking about.
The thing in Summitt is just a little valve with a lock. You just slide a hose on it and out runs the oil. I think it would be pretty cool. The only concern I had is if it was to open well running.... Big Mess and a junk motor.
I just had a thought for a safety thing I could put a hose on it well not draining the oil with a plug.

schiada96
03-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Dan I haven't used what your talking about. The setup you need is Teague part number GLE1125 ez oil drain kit if your drain plug has 1/2-20 threads this kit will take a while to drain but who cares.
With all the crap going on in a boat I don't want to take a chance on a spring loaded anything poping open.

Dans66Stevens
03-24-2002, 11:38 AM
Ok thanks ill check it out.

ratso
03-24-2002, 12:26 PM
Dans66Stevens: I got your e-mail and I understand your frustration, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers there. I'm usually open to other ideas and someone out there might actually have a better idea on what to use. Would you rather everybody just say "nope, hadn't tried it" and leave it at that, or at least listen to what people have to say? Sorry...ratso

Thunderbutt
03-24-2002, 02:07 PM
Hay Dan stick it in your oil pan Originally posted by Dans66Stevens:
HELP!!!!!!!!

BobMacD
03-24-2002, 06:19 PM
I use the little drain valve you are talking about. Yes I bought it from Summit. It works fine except the outlet hole is a little small so it takes a while to drain 10 qts of oil but really it is no problem. It has never leaked all the time I have used it.

ratso
03-24-2002, 07:20 PM
BobMacD: You should have been here about 20 replies ago!

Dans66Stevens
03-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Thanks to Bobmacd

Stab-n-Steer
03-25-2002, 06:37 AM
Superdave,
It's a long one but here's the link to the valve Dan is discussing... http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp%3FType%3Dbykeyword%2 6Part%3Doil%20drain%26Search.x%3D1%26SearchType%3D Both
Dan,
Sorry for the late reply but I use the same valve and it works fine. As BobMacD said it takes a while to drain the oil. It's about a two beer job. Just to be safe I saftey wire the valve closed when I'm done...
S&S

Dans66Stevens
03-25-2002, 12:58 PM
10-4 on the Safety wire. I don't care if it takes all day. It has to better than that drill pump I been screwing with.

69 Elim
03-25-2002, 04:24 PM
Dan - I know exactly what you mean by those little oil drain things. I have used 2 so far on my flatties - they are awesome!!! never leaked. I put a hose on it, and run the hose out the drain plug of the hull and into a bucket, then open the pep cock thing and watch it drain. so simple and no oil in the boat. it does take a little while, so go have lunch while you do it. I just put a new cam into my boat and I am gonna have to break it in and change the oil again. This is the only way to do it. It is well worth the $20 from Summit. I highly recommend it. I have tried that drill thing & suction things - nope - just wasted $ and time!

spectras only
03-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Dan ,the valve you're talking about does work,but over time it starts to leak a little.I would use the hose kit with the threaded plug at the end.I use a medic vacuum pump myself through the dipstick,takes about 15 minutes to get the oil out ,hot or cold.

Dans66Stevens
03-25-2002, 06:05 PM
I tried one of those junk drill pumps. I thought the drill was going to catch on FIRE before the oil was out.
I did buy a cool little deal that looks like a grease gun but is just the sucker part. You pull the handle and it makes vacum and sucks the oil out. It works ok but is a little slow.
I ordered the deal from summitt. It should work great. I will safety wire the arm and put a small hose on it with a plug in the end for extra safety.
It should work like a charm!!!