PDA

View Full Version : wont start

HYSTRUNG
09-24-2001, 03:46 AM
After a day of screwing around at Havasu we decided to head back to the hotel but boat wouldnÂ’t start. NO fuel pressure and NO spark. IÂ’ve got only 8 hours on the boat and I was kinda stumped cause it ran great all day. I have two questions: Has anyone else had a similar problem and what ended up being the problem. Im suspecting the kill switch. ItÂ’s in the shop right now but they told mw the turn around would be about 2 weeks

racingrascal
09-24-2001, 06:45 AM
What kind of boat and motor package?

HYSTRUNG
09-24-2001, 06:48 AM
2002 shockwave 350Mag Bravo 1.

bajaruner
09-24-2001, 07:44 AM
check your fuses and or curcuit breaker(s)

HYSTRUNG
09-24-2001, 08:10 AM
Did, there are 2 in line with the ignition and they were good. I also reset the breaker on the engine. Thats why I'm confused... The boat is awesome (when it runs, haha)

spectras only
09-24-2001, 08:35 AM
It could be as simple as the ign switch went kaput.If you have an electronic ign system [I guess all engines have it by 2002?]your problem could be the crankshaft sensor for timing.It's common problem on cars not to start when electrical connectors develop resistance due to humidity [slight corrosion],hence the low voltage signals to the computer is very sensitive .

Havasu Hangin'
09-24-2001, 08:38 AM
Hmmmm...could be electrical in nature. If it were me (and believe me, you don't want to be me), I would grab my volt meter, and work backward. Start with the ignition- did those fuses have 12 volts when the key is on? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/confused50.gif
No fuel pressure, or no pressure reading on the gauge? http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/confused43.gif
http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/forum/smilies/happy25.gif

HYSTRUNG
09-24-2001, 08:48 AM
S.O. and HH, I bled the schrader valve on the injection rack while cranking it over and the gas should have poured out right? In addition, The first thing I did when I got home was put me multimeter in my boat tool bag. I dunno...

spectras only
09-24-2001, 09:17 AM
Yes ,if your fuelpump worked [you should be able to hear it run when you turn the ign on only],there should have been a pressure buildup [about 39 pounds].Go to your local speedshop where you can buy a fuel pressure tester for about $40, attach it to the schrader valve and observe the reading.

HYSTRUNG
09-24-2001, 09:22 AM
Great suggestion S.O., 39 psi would be typical for a SB V8.? BTW, when I cranked the ignition there was no noise from the pump. Hmmmmm...

Havasu Hangin'
09-24-2001, 09:36 AM
As you guessed, it also could be as simple as the kill switch- did you try to bypass it?
I would hate to think something that new has major problems already. I've heard (on this board) of crank-trigger problems on the new 496. Even blowing fuses or circut breakers would tick me off.

spectras only
09-24-2001, 09:44 AM
My coil and breaker system never missed a beat on my 76 Spectra heh,I always thought I should have a backup system for my 72 spectra which has the MSD system [runs good though,knock on wood]and when you out on the ocean ,you're on your own,unlike on the lakes or rivers where you can get a tow by friendly boaters.

HYSTRUNG
09-24-2001, 10:12 AM
HH, I didn't know where to by pass it from (unless you mean right from the ignition switch) Shockwave builds really nice boats and the tuck all of their wiring into loom making it a real pain when you're on the water.

Havasu Hangin'
09-24-2001, 10:27 AM
So, I guess I should be thankful that the wiring on my old boat is "accessible" (AKA- exposed spaghetti) behind the dash. I've rewired my boat so many times, I should know where every connection is. Most of the time, when something comes loose, I can just blame the rigger (me), who happens to be on board.

HYSTRUNG
09-24-2001, 10:35 AM
Yeah I had a jetboat just like that about 12 years ago. You could reach under the dash and start it using starter wires without even looking. I don't miss that one, well maybe a little...

froggystyle
09-24-2001, 11:27 PM
I would definitely ensure the kill switch is not your gremlin first. Just put an impedence meter (ohm meter) to each terminal. Then, remove the lanyard. Any Change?

HYSTRUNG
09-25-2001, 03:25 AM
Thanks Froggystyle, I spoke to the guys at Shockwave and they stated the ECM went out to lunch on it. They told me Merc. said that the 496 is having a similar problem too. They ran it and everything seemed ok. We're hoping to pick it up by the end of the week.

spectras only
09-25-2001, 08:47 AM
Hystrung, ECM ,hmmmm http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif,the automakers have the limpmode for cars,why not for boats?.I personally don't beleive high tech for boat applications,hence we run them at high rpm's [and constant speeds] most of the time and the air/fuel ratio is dialed in by that range.Only cars would benefit from fuel injection,variable cam timing etc...! My 0.02 worth

tahoe22
09-26-2001, 09:07 PM
Hystrung - Let me know when you get your boat back. I'll stop by your pad to check it out, the bullets are on me.
Call me @ work bro. You know the number.

HYSTRUNG
09-27-2001, 03:29 AM
I'm supposed to pick it up tonight, maybe Friday. I had them put some new goodies on it. I'll call you today.

Hustler
09-27-2001, 08:42 AM
tohoe22, did you pick your boat up from ultra yet? So how many silver can you fit under those seats. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Hustler

nitro557
09-27-2001, 08:58 AM
what kills the ecm on the new mercruisers 2001 and up is the battery switch , when you switch from batt one to batt two while the engine is running there is a moment when there is now battery attached so the alternator goes on full boogie and when the switch makes connection the power surge kills the ecm it kills the start system in the ecm so the boat will run fine until you shut it off , dont switch the switch unless the motor is turned off,merc has no idea what is killing ecms and ignition modules but out of all the boats we have had problems with the battery switching has been the common occurance , also if you have a no start agian finding the source is simple if the key is turned on and you hear the pump kick on for a second its the module in the dist , if no pump check to see if you have power to it if you dont its the ecm if you do its the pump,the dealer i work at sells over 400 boats per year so we see the problems sooner than most

HYSTRUNG
09-27-2001, 09:16 AM
Nitro, That is probably the most common reason and I understand how that spike could/would fry the ECM. To be honest though I never turned the batteries off when we left the homestead on our way out to the Rio. I had turned them both on before pulling it out of the garage and putting it in the H2O that morning. One thing that I normally do (and should probably stop doing) is running it with both batteries. But thanks for the tip about not switching batteries when running.
Hey Hustler, I think Tahoe would still need a small pontoon towed behind him to hold all of his silver bullets. Even with all of the room he has in his new Ultra. hehe

tahoe22
09-28-2001, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Hustler:
tohoe22, did you pick your boat up from ultra yet? So how many silver can you fit under those seats. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
Hustler
Hustler - Should be picking up the new toy next week, CANT WAIT!!! I think we should have a contest like one of those guess the jelly beans in the fish bowl things, except it will be guess the bullets in Tahoes Boat. Winner Takes All! LMAO

tahoe22
10-08-2001, 07:41 AM
Hystrung - Did you take your Shockwave out to Smellsomemore last weekend. Anymore problems with the ECM that was on recall?

HYSTRUNG
10-08-2001, 07:53 AM
Yup, It ran great! No problems with the boat (it's bitchen!). The weather sucked though cause it got really windy. We thought we would hear from you and Mrs. Tahoe. BTW, me and some silly firemen friends are heading to Havasu for one last trip on the 25th-28th. Hopefully it will still be somewhat warm out there. Why don't you join us? I think we staying at Black Meadows but I'm not too sure. Give me a call, you know the number.

tahoe22
10-08-2001, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by HYSTRUNG:
We thought we would hear from you and Mrs. Tahoe. BTW, me and some silly firemen friends are heading to Havasu for one last trip on the 25th-28th. Hopefully it will still be somewhat warm out there. Why don't you join us? I think we staying at Black Meadows but I'm not too sure. Give me a call, you know the number.
We ended up going to Parker for an overnighter. Havasu sounds good, the weather the end of October is sort of unpredictable. Sometimes its still HOT, sometimes you can freeze your assets off. I'll give you a call sometime this week bud.