PDA

View Full Version : Wright daycruser hull qusetions

V-Driver
02-17-2002, 01:41 AM
Hello to all,
I have been having a ball reading what you guys have to say about one of my favorites subjects, V-drive gofaster boats. I have a project in the works that I am sure I will have tons of questions about in the near future. The hull is a Wright 20.6 cruser that was molded in the pacific northwest in 89Â’ by Hugh Paxton. Jim Willks tells me that the hull was originally designed for jet rigging. When I purchased this project the strut, shaft log and C-500 were installed and not much more. Does anybody know anything about Wright daycruser hulls? How will the bottom react to the V-drive set up? How will this hull react to HP. Thanks a bunch.
Andrew

Thunderbutt
02-17-2002, 08:53 AM
V-Driver You were talking to the guy (Jim Wilks) that should have the answers to all of your questions. I thought the Wright boats were built in the San Fernando valley. If Spectrabrent sees this post he will know who's boat Wright pluged to build there cruser.

boatguy222
02-17-2002, 03:20 PM
V-Driver,
I live in Eugene and I am the process of re-rigging a 20' daycruiser, although I have not heard of your hull, I may be able to help with set-up or parts if you need anything. you can email me at harmons1@msn.com
Good luck,
Marc

Costello
02-17-2002, 08:38 PM
I believe it's a WREIDT (correct spelling) hull although I never knew they built a cruiser. My friend has a WREIDT flat and it's a sturdy but heavy old boat.

V-Driver
02-18-2002, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the response. I would love to know what boat was splashed originally to come up with this hull. It has the typical mini daycruser look but has 2 “humps” or rises in the deck, 4 full length lift strakes, about 14 degree dead rise and a 14” wide pad that extends approx 6 feet forward of the transom. If I can finger out how to post a pic I will. It is registered as a Paxton but the guy a bought it from called it a Wright (spelling?). As it has not been in the water my biggest concern is placement of strut/engine/fuel ect. and having a good balanced and safe boat. Lots to do before we get it wet. Again thanks, any info or input is welcomed.
Boatguy, I would like to see what you are up to and thanks.
Andrew

boatguy222
02-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Andrew,
where do you live? If you come to Eugene let me know or e mail me off list and I'll give you my number.
Marc

VD CRUISER
02-18-2002, 06:57 PM
V-Driver, If you plan to put a lot of power in the boat be sure you get good information on what shaft angle to use and where to place the strut. Makes a big difference at top speed. Phil Bergeron at Bergeron Engineering,Ph.# 480-834-1531 knows a lot about this, and he makes a lot of parts too.

Costello
02-19-2002, 07:37 PM
To the best of my knowledge, the original "double hump" cruisers were from Campbell. I've seen a couple of off brands (can't even remember the name at present) which also had this design, but it seems most of these were in the 22-24' range including the Campbell. As for a 20'6" with that style I don't know. Spectra Brent knows his cruisers pretty well, he might know.

SPECTRABRENT
02-19-2002, 08:02 PM
I would like to see a picture of the hull to see what the design it is. The Spectra 20 was the hull most MFG's splashed or copied.
The deck on the Spectra 20 has only one step, the Taylor had two steps.
Brent
[This message has been edited by SPECTRABRENT (edited February 19, 2002).]

V-Driver
02-19-2002, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all replys.
Boat guy, I live in Albany and I will.
VD I do have some concerns with power, (740HP @ 5600 and 810LBFT @ 3900..not in any way to much power) but the sturt is set and unless it is stupidly placed (as purchased) I will leav it for now. I will post as to the position of the underwater gear for input.
Costello, Brent
I will try my luck at getting a pic posted on friday when I get back to work. She resembles a Campbell but proportioned differently.
Agian thanks.
Andrew

spectras only
02-19-2002, 10:23 PM
I think also both ,Eliminator & Sleekcraft had double steps in the seventies. Thanks Brent to remind me the proper name [sleekcraft] http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited February 19, 2002).]

SPECTRABRENT
02-19-2002, 10:43 PM
THe Eliminator looked like a copy of a Taylor. Sleekcraft did make a double step deck.
Brent

HavasuDreamin'
02-20-2002, 07:26 AM
In the 70's the "two step" deck was all the rage. I would imagine there are a handful if not more, manufactures that produced a 20' - 2 step deck daycruiser. A picture would be of great help! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

Costello
02-20-2002, 07:59 AM
By the way, how far forward is your strut measuring from the transom? I don't even know where mine is, (21' Dimarco) but I will measure, and if a few others do the same you'll know if you're in the ballpark or not.

MKEELINE
02-20-2002, 12:07 PM
The Hallet 20' Super Sport has the two step deck. Jim Wilkes could answer any question you have about set-up on your cruiser. I've spoke to him many times and has always been extremely helpful. This is one of the nicest guy's i've talked to in the boat industry.

Backfire
02-21-2002, 10:26 AM
The Taylor 21' and the Eliminator are the same boat and there are other copies, as well! Sanger made a "double-bubble" 20.5 rounded 2 step cruiser. Sleek-Craft is unique unto itself. There were also different variations of decks during the jetboat era. The strangest being a Kona model which had a bubble-deck set on top of a deck rise.

V-Driver
02-23-2002, 07:57 PM
So much for Friday night, the machines kept me humping all night. I havenÂ’t had a chance to get under the boat for measurements but I figure I will some time next week. It would be great to hear some of your set up dimensions with HP, gear ratio, trans, prop, location of fuel and quantity and cav plate setups. As with anything more information is better. I am very interested in finding out the origins of this hull and I think the people on this forum have more answers than any other resource. Thanks again.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v5/8/45/19/31884519ekibIWpLYq_ph.jpg
Andrew

boatguy222
02-24-2002, 12:06 AM
Andrew,
I have a bunch if stuff, you can look at fuel tanks, cav plates, engines, engine mounts, props, etc. make a list and come on down!!
I also have the factory set dimensions for 21' Schiada, if your interested.
Marc

VD CRUISER
02-24-2002, 10:09 AM
V-driver,
My 21' Howard came from the factory in 83 with the rear of the strut barrel 17" from the outside of the transom, not the plates. The angle was about 9 deg. with the first engine, about 530hp it would run about 82 mph. When we put a 460ci blower motor in it the speed went to 90 mph, but it would porpoise and chine walk a lot. with the current 547ci blower motor it lifted the transom and stuck the bow and only ran about 4-5 mph faster and was very squirrley. The cure was to put on a new 7 1/2 deg, strut with the prop closer to the bottom and move it forward so the barrel is 23 1/2" from the transom. The result,after adding an intercooler and lightning headers and a 2 blade prop with 48% OD in the V-drive, is 109 mph with no chine walk or porpoising.

V-Driver
02-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info VD. I will be under the boat this week to check out what I have. I think my strut angle is more than 9 deg but not sure. Where is your fuel located?
Thanks
Andrew

VD CRUISER
02-26-2002, 07:33 PM
V-Driver,
In those days Howard put fiberglass tanks right on the bottom, just outside of the stringers, about 30 gals each. Low center of gravity.