PDA

View Full Version : Paint powdercoat??

tmdog
12-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Aluminum exh. manifold that was powdercoated has been overheated and now looks terrible. The pc lifted and curdled and left bumps where their was poor water circulation. I have sanded all the pitting and have some bare spots to the alum. I want to use paint in a rattle can. What kind of primer and top coat? Can pc be painted sucessfully?

Jbb
12-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Aluminum exhaust manifold?...........:confused:
Ok I have painted alot of water jacketed headers...none of which were aluminum....but if they were ...I would bead blast them them, epoxy prime them, and then I always use base /clear or single stage acrylic urethane...or polyurethane.....if they are water jacketed and have a good amount of flow, the only place they will discolor is on the flange itself..
As for paint over powdercoat....as long as it's scuffed well, it will work just fine...I do it all the time..
Rattle can paint is only for tagging bridges..:supp:
I guess VHT has some high heat stuff,also you can look around at Eastwood...but I dont think they would do very well.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/index.jsp

G-Body
12-16-2006, 07:35 PM
You could also use duplicolor high temp engine paint. They have a pretty good color selection in 1200 degree paint, and a bunch of colors in the 500 degree range. I have never tried it on aluminum before, but on steel you just scuff it and spray the heat paint.
Now that I think about it I have used it on aluminized steel. I sprayed my entire exhaust system before I hung it. It has been on my car at least 6 months and still looks like its a week old.

tmdog
12-17-2006, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the help. Intended to use Dupli- Color engine paint 500*. The Hi-Heat 1200* must be cured in a oven according to the DC rep and on their web page. Wife wouldn't appreciate that. :argue: