PDA

View Full Version : Roller Cam Rev Kit

Fired Up
01-29-2002, 10:08 PM
Do all Roller (solid or Hydraulic) Cams need a Rev Kit. They look like a small valve spring that goes over the push rod and sits on top of the lifter,below the head.In theory they are supposed to keep the lifter on the cam lobe if something in the motor goes away to keep things from bouncing apart. Is there a certain RPM at which they are a good idea or are they always a good idea?

DEL51
01-29-2002, 11:48 PM
I have asked my engine builder if I needed a rev kit and he said they were more for racing setups with high rpm and high lifts.the most critical thing is to have correct valve train geometry.I had a poorley selected cam,"for boating purposes", and it was not set up properly.This eventially caused a roller lifter to rotate in the lifter bore.The stabilizer broke in little pieces.I had the problem fixed by inserting a bronze sleeve into the damaged lifter bore.The fix is still working.In my opinion, you should not require a rv kit unless you are building a high er rpm race engine.I am talking about 7500rpm +.

Racing Ray
01-30-2002, 02:49 AM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

boat030
01-30-2002, 08:03 AM
Fired up, i don't think there is any use for rev kits anymore. we ran our big block race motor up to 9000 rpm's on every pass with almost an inch of lift and we wouldn't ever consider running a rev kit. maybe if you were trying to run high rpm with a heavey valve train assembly there would be some advantage but as racing ray said that would be kind of an old school sollution there are plenty of good valvetrain parts available that make a rev kit unneccesary.

Fired Up
01-30-2002, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys, thats just the info I wanted. Thats whats great about this site. Good people with good seat of the pants experience they are willing to share.

TriSum
01-30-2002, 06:55 PM
Actually I disagree. If you are running a solid cam (roller or flat tappet) you should not need/use a rev kit as mentioned above. If you are running a hydraulic cam, especially a roller (heavy lifter), and you are spinning the motor higher than 6300 RPM, you should look into rev kits. To set the spring up correctly for performance you cannot put enough seat pressure in the spring that will keep the valves from floating without compressing the hydraulic lifter all the way and losing the "hydraulic lash". Hope this helps. TriSum