PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer History?

Stab-n-Steer
10-15-2001, 05:41 PM
I have a 1958 Biesemeyer all glass v-drive and I am trying to find out some history... I do know that Rusty Biesemeyer opened the company in 1958 so my boat is from his first year of production. Obviously in later years Biesemeyer boats became the boat to have in the flat bottom circle racing clases like "SS", "SK" and "K boats"... Steele Marine in Phoenix now builds the Biesemeyer boats but they don't have much info on the original boats. This boat has been in our family since the sixties. Growing up I thought it was kinda funky compared to the hotdog v-drives of the era - Sanger, Stevens, Howard, Hondo, etc. Now that nostalgia is such a big deal the boat really is pretty cool. I have been restoring the boat over the last 3 years and it will be on the water next spring. My dad left it to me and I will pass it on to my son so it would be fun to know some more history... If anyone out there has any info at all I would appreciate it...
Thanks!

126driver
10-16-2001, 08:43 AM
Steele Marine would only build a flatbottom circle boat - nothing for play. No matter because they went out of business in January 2001 and obviously no longer own the mold.
I have an old race program from the Rusty Biesemeyer Regatta and Western Divisional circle race at Firebird in 1991. I try to dig it up - there was some interesting stuff on Biesemeyer in it. If I find it, I'll post it here.
Scott

Stab-n-Steer
10-16-2001, 02:04 PM
126Driver,
I was not aware that Steele Marine went under... I wonder where the molds are now?
Obviously you are Scott Peralta, driver of SS-126 "Dangerous Addication". Super Stock boats are awesome! I saw you guys run a few years ago at Firebird - What a show! You guys are brave! Scott, if you do find the program that would be great. Also, are the Revenge and D'Cucci hulls just a knock off of the Bieser's?
Thanks for responding. Boat people are the greatest (especially v-drivers!).
Randy

Stab-n-Steer
10-16-2001, 02:27 PM
old rigger,
That's the hull. It was offered as an outboard as well. Mine is only 16'. It rides like it's on a dirt road with flat tires. You have practically to wear a cup and a mouthpiece to survive. I love it. Women hate it. They need a super strong bathing suit top to save embarrassment if you know what I mean. even if they are not wearing a thong they end up with one after riding in the bieser!
What I'm trying to find out is how many different models where made and how many... I took the motor out 3 years ago to "freshen it up". Well, one thing led to another and I ended up with a bare hull and started over. I also built a new trailer. If it wasn't for my wive's "honey-do" lists I would have made it back on the water this summer. It's 95% done - just wiring and final assembly left... I really don't have any good pictures of it and no digital photos, but I'll post some when she's done...
Thanks for responding,
Randy

Stab-n-Steer
10-17-2001, 05:45 AM
Old Rigger,
I have seen that boat. It's a Pierson which is has a different deck than my Bieser... My hull has a more rounded transom and a nicer looking deck. I don't know the history of the Pierson hulls and how they eveloved from the Biesemeyer.
I live in No. California (Bay Area) and a buddy of mine found a Pierson just like this one somebody had left in a field near Sacramento. He thought it was a Biesemeyer and called me. We went to look at it but it was so trashed it wasn't worth saving... Sad... You wonder how many great old boats died a similar death...
After the Biesemeyer is done I want to restore an old Rayson Craft (early 60's vintage) preferably with a wood deck. Now that's a cool old boat!
Take care,
Randy

superdave013
10-17-2001, 07:52 AM
Hey Old Rigger, I need to have some glass work done on my schiada. Would you be interested in doing a small side job? I'm in Anaheim if you would care to take a look at it.

126driver
10-17-2001, 07:59 AM
Hey Randy,
Found that race program. Not an easy feat since I've moved three times in the last ten years! Not as much info as I remember. This is from the 1991 Inboard Western Divisionals program. Don't know who the author was:
"Rusty Biesemeyer was obsessed. For thousands of grateful boating enthusiasts, this obsession and his vision have provided years of thrilling boating experiences.
The Biesemeyer era of boating design was launched in 1956. Rusty was introduced to boat manufacturing when his brother Bill built several wooden boats. Rusty was hooked!
Throughout his 28 year boating history, Rusty had a string of 'firsts' and boating records that were nothing short of incredible. First and foremost, he was unrelenting in his quest to continually improve the ski boat design. He built the first all-fiberglass hulls for big engines. He designed and built one of the first 20 foot jet powered day cruisers. The 14 and 16 foot outboards he designed and built were, like the others, terrific performers.
In 1961, Rusty built what many considered to be his most beautiful design . . . the Caribbean hull. However, the ultimate in the Rusty Biesemeyer legacy of boat designs are the K Class Flat Bottom Hulls. These are still successful in winning races today. Hulls designed by Rusty have won many races and broken many records. Typical of these is the very successful Murphy-Biesemeyer E Boat.
Rusty's career in boat design successfully spanned the period from 1956 until his death in 1984. But today, Rusty continues to give us a lot of thrills and a lot of satisfaction."
Not a lot of info, but there are a few cool old black and white pics in the program that I'll try to scan and post this evening.
Scott

126driver
10-17-2001, 08:11 AM
By the way Randy, yeah, I drive SS-126. I'll have to dispute that "brave" comment though! My wife has a few thoughts on the subject but I'll leave that alone.
When Steele decided to close up the shop, one guy bought up all of the race boat stuff. And I do mean ALL. You should see all of the stuff. The molds are being used right now to repair many of the SSRS boats that got banged up this last season. Don't know what the long-term future of the mold is though. There are a few more floating around.
Yeah, the Revenge is a splash off of the Biesemeyer. The only difference is a "rib" down the middle of the deck. Good boats. My last circle boat was a Revenge.
Scott

Stab-n-Steer
10-17-2001, 08:44 AM
Scott,
You are the man! Thanks for taking the time to do that for me. Like I said, boaters are the best!
I know what your wife means. There is a very fine line between brave and stupid http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
My wife thinks that I am stupid because I can't watch enough boat racing.
Recently I have been helping out some friends that race a crackerbox (99-P "Black and Blue") We raced in Pleasanton two weekends ago. It was a lot of fun. I am going to ride next year some and would like to try driving if I can find an owner willing to let me get my license. I am even considering buying one. (Shhh, don't tell my wife!) If me racing means another divorce, then I'll reconsider. I'm too old to lose another house!
I wish there was more SS boats in No. California. I would love to crew for someone. Most of you guys are in So. Calif. and Phoenix area... I hope to go the Burley next year. I will make sure to introduce myself if you are there.
Thanks again,
Randy

Stab-n-Steer
10-17-2001, 08:59 AM
Old Rigger,
The boat was a mess. I guess anything could be fixed but it was sort of "why?" in this case. Some one had been using it for target practice with a shotgun!
You sound like an ambitious dude, Old Rigger! Cutting the deck off of a boat to do a wood one. Go for it and send pictures!
Take care,
Randy

superdave013
10-17-2001, 10:49 AM
Oldrgger, That sounds great! You e-mail is not in your proflie so send me one and I'll reply with my address and Phone#.
Thanks

spectras only
10-17-2001, 12:28 PM
Old Rigger,go to my friend's website,www.kazulinboats.com ,all his boats he builds are wood decked.His boats only make it to Lake Tahoe,I'm trying to convince him to show them in california one day.

spectras only
10-17-2001, 01:44 PM
OR,didn't Miller buy the 20 spectra mold? I've seen pics of his boats with wood decks and looks really good.The dash setback you're talking about is like the Hondo flatbottoms did in the 70's? I'd like to see pictures when you finished your project. Tony just sold a 23 Adriatic at a recent Seattle floating boatshow to a Lake Tahoe resident.He's just completing another one right now for a local bloke.

10-17-2001, 05:13 PM
Old rigger, Some of old Howard wood decks from the mid 60s had that deck lip you are talking about. I have a 66 Howard W/D with that overhang, makes the deck look a bit longer. Great old boat.

10-18-2001, 10:55 AM
Old Rigger, I've owned the boat since about 1985. It was down right ugly when I drug it home. Had some sort of early 70s style paint layout on it [a bad acid trip, maybe?] As this thing was following me home I kept asking myself "what was I thinking?" My wife asked the same thing when she first saw it. L.S.S...stripped the paint, primed it so it was one color from many and discovered the hull had some beautiful lines, funny how something takes on a whole new look with just paint or in this case primer. Of the very few Howard wood deck boats mine is the only one I've seen with no divider between the front and rear seat. Do you know anything about this? After driving this boat I fell in love with it. Not real fast as its a heavy old log but it handles and rides like no other flat I've driven. Howard Brown knows his stuff. I have since glassed the deck over as it had to sit outside for most of the years I've owned it but now it is pampered inside a new shop so I may redo the wood deck as time permits. After various engines in it I now run 514" Ford. Turns the 25% gears about 6800 rpm. Your neighbor's boat sounds nice and some day I would like to make a trip to S.Cal to see it and others for myself. I have enjoyed reading your posts, you are truly a wealth of knowledge, Thanks, Bob

Chris Borden
02-15-2010, 12:43 PM
In 1957 I bought a 14' Biesemeyer from Dewey's Desert Outboards in Tucson Arizona. It was equipped with a 50 hp Evinrude OB and we used it for skiing all year round..sometimes with wet suits! This 14 footer had the split hull and deck covered with a white band of heavy rubber. I made an alteration to the 4 seats which were separated by a walk through. The seating area was configured to two bench seats and I added two nine gallon gas tanks with fillers between these two seats. Prior to this alteration, the engine and outboard fuel tanks made the aft portion of the boat heavier. Putting more weight center make for more speed and better balance. The ride was always good in mirror like conditions, but a bit of sea with that flat bottom made it ride like a truck. I had the boat for almost 20 years and loved it.

ccborden9@yahoo.com

sciatica
03-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I have an old 1962 Biesmeyer straight shaft small block Chevy with a Flagship transmission. The boat sounds very similar to Chris' Biesmeyer. I haven't been able to find anyone else with a similar boat. I also have access to another Biesmeyer that may be just like Chris' with the v drive. If I can make contact with Chris, I have pictures to send. Thank you. Dean