PDA

View Full Version : sanding fresh gel coat

boatfreak
02-16-2007, 03:04 PM
I am instantly clogging the sandpaper the only paper that will even cut a little before clogging is 400 which i beleive is part of the reason that i keep sanding through and having to re shoot. I am putting 15 cc per pint and spraying plenty of pva over the top. any suggestions? somebody mentioned that i should just spray it with duratech instead.

G-Body
02-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Did you try adding a couple drops of dishsoap to the water when you were wetsanding? I can`t remember if I did that or not when I sanded my fresh gel, but I didn`t have any problems with clogging the paper.
Also how long are you waiting after you spray it till you sand it?
I don`t remember if there is a specified time, but I was waiting a couple days.

phebus
02-17-2007, 07:26 AM
How long did you let it cure before you sanded? I just did a lot of little patches along the sponsons of my boat, and had the same issue, but I patched, sprayed the PVA, and later the same day, sanded. I wet sanded, and even though the paper was clogging, as long as I re-wet the paper often, it still did it's job well. If you didn't want to use the PVA, you could use either styrene, or Duratec added to your gel.

Xlration Marine
02-17-2007, 09:27 AM
400? Did a lot of that stuff, but started with 220 or less. Yea you will go through a bunch of paper, cuz thats what it does- clog up. Soapy water fo sho. But you need to spray it on thick like 40-50 mill because you will be sanding off half of it. Get through the orange peal with 120, 180, or 220 then you can hit it with 400,600 1000. You start out with 400 you will quit after a little while and say "what the hell have I gotten myself into". Spray it thick runs and drips will sand out, then PVA the sucker and must use soapy water and some good saning blocks, foam works good and they will hold some water.

boatfreak
02-18-2007, 11:27 PM
lol thats exactly what i was saying halfway in.thanks for the advice. next time i will just duratech

DUCKY
03-14-2007, 08:51 AM
If you sprayed the gel thick enough, give it a couple of wipes with acetone, and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then try sanding again. You have to spray gel thick enough so it will build heat as it cures. It make take several coats.....
If you didn't spray it thick enough, don't come crying to me that you wiped it off with acetone....:jawdrop:

victorfb
03-14-2007, 11:26 AM
add 5% styrene. its alot cheaper than duratech. use the duratech for the final coat. i normally wait till the next day to sand large areas that ive sprayed, but if its a small area or just lines i will sand them after an hour or so.

Sangster
03-16-2007, 02:17 PM
If your going to sand gelcoat soon after application... As soon as it tacks-up you can spray it with PVA & it will be ready to sand with in an hour or two without all the sandpaper issues/Clogging ect...Good luck