PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass under the dash

something's gonna happen
02-23-2007, 05:23 AM
I was wondering if anyone had some ideas on glassing the underside of the dash with the boat sitting normal (meaning not flipped over). I have tried laying it up a little hotter then using wax paper to hold gravity back but am still not happy with my results. Lots of tight areas and it is hard to work with mat upside down. Any advise would greatly be appreciated. oh yeah my boat is a 78 sunkisst v-hull jet.

phebus
02-23-2007, 08:12 AM
I've never had a problem, as long as I wet it out good, followed by taking a squeege and working it into all the cracks and crevices, and then working out all excess resin, and removing as much "wetness" as I could. Excess resin will lead to slipping and sagging.

Xlration Marine
02-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Well when I did any kind of tabbing I would find some cardboard or even some scrap plywood. I would wet the glass out on the board, not to wet that it drips in your face. Kinda wet out the area that it is going. And then take the material off the board with both hands and lay it up into the spot, using my hands (mostly the back of them) to push the mat onto the spot. Once you get it to stick a little hit it with the roller. I used a 6" by 14" tab all the way around the boat. Just use small pieces if that helps you, and a big bib. Start in the middle of the piece and work your way out to the ends. If you can use some cloth with it do it, it will help keep the mat together and make it e z r to work.