PDA

View Full Version : Floors

Running_on_Empty
02-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey guys I am about ready to start redoing my floors in my 1976 sanger bubble deck. The floors look great......other than some scratches in the clear coat.....so I am wondering how I should go about strating this project. Do I use a d/a or a palm sander....what grit should I start out with? What products should I use? I also noticed that the wood underneat the seats needs some fiberglass on it in one spot. Any help would be great!!

jimslade
02-25-2007, 12:50 PM
need more info. what surface are you working on.

71tahiti
03-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Bubble where are you in Indiana? where are you boating?

71tahiti
03-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Sorry was asking Runnin on E.....

BILLY.B
03-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Hey guys I am about ready to start redoing my floors in my 1976 sanger bubble deck. The floors look great......other than some scratches in the clear coat.....so I am wondering how I should go about strating this project. Do I use a d/a or a palm sander....what grit should I start out with? What products should I use? I also noticed that the wood underneat the seats needs some fiberglass on it in one spot. Any help would be great!!I use a DA with 80 grit on it. Make sure to keep the DA flat and do not roll it up on the edge's or you'll make groves in the floor. I go back over the floor by hand with 80 grit in the tight areas that I couldn't get to with the sander. Once I have the floor all sanded i'll go over it with 120 grit to smooth it out even further. I use Duratec clear. It can be bought from Rev Chemical. The store is located in Colton Ca but they have stores that sell the product all over the US. Call information for there # in Colton and they can tell you where to buy it in your area. The product flows out real nice and stays shiny, not to mention that it is durable.

JPA
03-31-2007, 08:08 AM
What if you have areas where you can see glass under the resin/gelcoat on top of the tunnels where the balsa is in a daytona. How do you make those disappear. And to redo the stringers that run down the top of the tunnels to where they look showroom new and shiney.:idea:
Joel

old flat
04-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Ben: What Billy said.... If you recall that is the same proceedure and products that we had talked about earlier... Dang that makes me sound really smart, don't it.... On those supports under the seat, carefully grind down those bad spots, did I say carefully? then cut some mat to fit those areas, dry fit it, then brush the resin on, stick the mat in place and cover with resin, a good thick coat with a wet brush, if the brush isn't wet enough it will pull the mat up, or pull strings out of the mat. You're on the right track these guys know thier stuff, and if Billy says it, you can run with it: Just from seeing some of his projects.
STEVE