PDA

View Full Version : engine pictures?

flattie
01-08-2002, 10:28 PM
does anyone have any pics of there blower motors as far as alternator brackets and pulley set ups on v-drives with a supercharger that I could look at to get some ideas on fabing up some brackets.

Infomaniac
01-08-2002, 11:09 PM
flattie Do you have solid motor plates? I was going to run an alternator but will have to carve an area out of the plate on the passenger side. Ran a mag instead of MSD and did not use the alternator. Still have a 1 groove pulley on the BDS set up. Will scan a pic of the final install and post it tomorrow. I have a low mount alternator bracket if you need one.
http://ftp.webzone.net/infomaniac/plts.jpg

Unchained
01-09-2002, 05:34 AM
Alternator? We don't need no stinking altnader. I have'nt run one for years. I put the charger on the battery about once a week. Never had a starting problem.
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/540Arias.jpg
Info, What a super clean engine compartment. Those engine mount plates look great. Do you buff your own parts of send them out?

flattie
01-09-2002, 06:19 AM
Yes I do have solid motor plates. Your engine comp. looks just like mine. Now that I'm running a blower I want to see how people ran water lines and pulleys for alt. around that big bitchin belt. I just purchaced a vertex magneto so I guess I don't have to run alt. also, but I'm not sure I'm going to use it what does any one think of magneto?
Flattie

schiada96
01-09-2002, 07:36 AM
You can get small single wire alternators from Accel. Have them make one up for marine and setup to run backwards. Then you can turn the alternator around for easy installation. I like having juice in the boat.

superdave013
01-09-2002, 09:38 AM
I never had to use any thing special to run my alternators backwards. I just use ones right from the local auto house. They are not the one wire deals though. I'm getting ready to go through the same thing but am not quite at that point yet. I am going to catch the bolts that the engine plate mounts to. I can't mount it down low as it will interfear with the rudder support.
I has seen guys use tee nuts like what a mill table uses to adjust the alternator belt. It looked pretty slick.
I have also seen alternators mounted to the engine rails and also mounted to the brace that holds the rudder top bearing. That is how my schiada was. It won't be like that when I'm done though.
Post pics of what you come up with. Or if you need something fabbed up send me a drawing and I might be able to help you out.
Here's a pic of my last blwon engine. It used a mag with no alternator.
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/8/64/77/23086477jtWBUkBRQF_ph.jpg

Jetboatguru
01-09-2002, 09:40 AM
Super Dave, I like the way you ran your idler pulley. It forces the belt in and grabs more teeth on the belt. Cuts down the tossing the belt problem.

HUFFPOWER
01-09-2002, 11:16 AM
ok guys please explain how you are getting these pic to post here when your answering,or you want to post a pic.i have a new scanner,and mgi photo suite installed on my computer?thanks scott.

schiada96
01-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Sd how is that turbo motor. I've run parts store alternators backwards too. I run a Acell small alt in the correct direction, just enough room! The recomend a cooling fan that is reversed.

superdave013
01-09-2002, 03:09 PM
HUFFPOWER, The first thing you need to do is load your pics on the net some place. I use webshot.com, it's free and easy to use.
Then pull up the pic on your screen and right click on it. Select properties and copy the URL address. Then type in this code with no spaces.
the url address
Tony, That's why I ran the belt like that. With the intercooler and the pullys I used the short belt way to short and the longer one was way long. It must have been ok as I never tossed a belt.
Schiada, I'm waiting on the headers still. He sent me a set that was all dented up. Told me they were shipped in error and the new set should have shiped today. I also have an eldbrock victor ram intake on order. Getting close to the fun part now. When I get the parts all machined up I would like to talk to you about welding them. Also if I make the flanges for the turbos and headers could you make the transitions and weld them for me? I would like to use 304 S.S. for them.

Stab-n-Steer
01-09-2002, 03:51 PM
Huffer,
Click below and there is an excellent explaination of how to post pics and other tips from member "Havasu Hangin"... SuperDave was kind enough to help me out the first time. They kinda make us new guys suffer for a while and then clue us in on how to post. I guess when they tell you how to post pics you are accepted to the forum!
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000805.html
Unchained and SuperDave,
Great motors! You guys are making me long for summer. Actually, it's supposed to be in the high 60's here in the bay area tomorrow so my buddy and I are playing hookie and are taking a "sweat shirt" cruise on the delta.
S&S

Flat Screwd
01-09-2002, 08:58 PM
Walt at walts ***boat in modesto has a stand off mount that mounts the alt. in front of the crank and uses a lovejoy coupler to conect the two. So the alt. is driven by the crank but with no belts. Its a real cool setup.

Infomaniac
01-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Flat Screwd I had one of those on my DiMarco. It was great. Do not think it will work with a blower. The one I had would not.
Unchained. The motor plates were new from Bergeron. Do not look near as good after 1 season of Oklahoma lake water. Wish I had your engine in my Cougar.
Am trying the get my scanner to work after loading XP.

schiada96
01-10-2002, 07:41 AM
Sd I've got 304 sheet in stock make the flanges thick 3/8 or better and draw what you want. I'll weld them up for you.

DetroitJim
01-10-2002, 09:15 AM
http://community.webshots.com/photo/25520392/25673484WNpSgqyKBH
I use a Glenwood cast aluminum front mount. It has an alternator mount right on it. It tucks the alternator up alongside the block. The water pump is spaced forward 3 inches or the belt would hit.
[This message has been edited by DetroitJim (edited January 10, 2002).]

Racing Ray
01-10-2002, 09:43 AM
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v1/7/34/84/25673484WNpSgqyKBH_ph.jpg

Thunderbutt
01-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Flattie,
drive the alt off of the torqe tube. mount the alt on on the side of one of the stringers and use a clamp pully on the tube.