PDA

View Full Version : shaft wear

Flat Screwd
12-20-2001, 08:07 PM
Does anybody know the acceptable amount of shaft wear. I have a 1.0 shaft that measures .93 on the worn areas. .007 sounds like alot but its only .0035 per side . Is that still cool.

Stab-n-Steer
12-22-2001, 04:14 PM
Screwd,
You say the shaft measures .93? Or is it .993? If it really is .93 throw that puppy away! If it's .993 that is getting close to where I would worry about it... I guess it depends on what type of boat you are running it in and the HP, etc. In the big picture new shafts are not that expensive and are certainly a critical element to your boats performance and safety...

Flat Screwd
12-23-2001, 08:41 AM
Sorry about the typerror S&S, your right .993. The wear pattern is about 1.5 inches wide in two places. The new bushings are about 3 inches I was going to push them in and try to get some new contact points

Stab-n-Steer
12-23-2001, 11:56 AM
Screwed,
I wouldn't recommend that. Pushing your strut bushings inward decreases the length of your bearing area and increases the unsupported length of the shaft. In other words, the length from the v-drive coupling to the first strut bearing is now longer and the length from the second bearing to the prop is also longer. This increases the potential for whip or vibration problems. A new SST shaft is only around $125. The trick Aquamet and Monel shfts are much more but for a boat under 500hp a SST shaft should be fine... Sounds like a great Christmas gift to me!
S&S
[This message has been edited by Stab-n-Steer (edited December 23, 2001).]