PDA

View Full Version : Steering Effort

Brewer
10-24-2001, 09:21 AM
The steering effort required to turn my rig at speed is extremely high. I have noticed on some of the Schiada's an externally mounted rudder. Looking at some other v-drives, they appear to have power steering. Does anybody have experience with either of these types of steering improvements? Do wedge type rudders offer less resistance than trailing type?

superdave013
10-24-2001, 09:30 AM
I hear the external rudders will help with more speed. They are hydrolic so I'm sure they would not take much effort. My boat has the dual mores set up an is not to bad. Maybe yours just need new cables or at least some grease.
I do see no reason why you could not put a hydrolic ram on inboard rudders. I've never seen it done, but it would ba pretty slick!

Brewer
10-24-2001, 10:54 AM
Hey Superdave! I wish it only needed grease! The effort required at rest is minimal, you can go lock to lock with one finger. Hows the steering effort on yours at speed? Which rudder are you running?

LeE ss13
10-24-2001, 11:18 AM
I would suspect it would have to do with the design of the rudder. The farther back the blade is welded on the shaft, the harder it is to steer with the force of the water pushing against it. That's why there is sometimes a little of the blade infront of the shaft to assist. The pressure on the part of the blade that is forward of the shaft reduces the effort needed to turn it. Think about it. If to much of the rudder was infront of the shaft, you wouldn't be able to hold it straight. I think I'm starting to ramble .....
------
LeE ss13

superdave013
10-24-2001, 11:27 AM
I'm running a wedge but my boat is only 20'. It's lots smaller than a 21', more than you would think!

spectras only
10-24-2001, 11:28 AM
Brewer,I have a v-drive with a wedge type rudder with approx 15% front of the shaft with no problem turning at speed [24 Spectra].Send a fax to Dave at california marine with a drawing/picture of your rudder.Fax# 604-278 6040. Dave owned a v-drive Schiada ,so he can help you for sure.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited October 24, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited October 24, 2001).]

Brewer
10-26-2001, 08:35 AM
I have an extra wedge type rudder that I will install before the next outing. Theoretically, like you guys say, it should require less effort than my existing set up, similar in effect to spades on aircraft control surfaces. Thanks for the response's.

go65ss
10-26-2001, 10:31 PM
i have a 21' daycruser raysoncraft vdrive why not put a hydrolic steering without powersteering.