PDA

View Full Version : Engine Dilema

V-Kid
02-03-2002, 08:28 PM
Hey Guys could you please post your opinion I have that original pontiac 400 with the nicson mountings but she needs a total redo. I have a sbc 406 fresh and hot she thinks shes a RAT 460 horse 520 ft.lbs. but no accesories. and an old tall deck 427 thats still solid again, no gear.
"Is the BB to heavy for the 16 ft rayson!!"
Does anyone have an old set of SB or BB gear that I may purchase.
What todo Kid

superdave013
02-03-2002, 08:49 PM
What are you going for? If you're going for the nostalgia thing keep the pontiac. You don't see to many out there these days. I think nostalgia is pretty cool myself. (A Buick nail head with webbers in a wood deck miller would be bitchin.)
But if you're looking to hull ass it's hard to beat the big block chevy. You could toss a 454 crank in it the next rebuild and have a nice 468". Parts for the BBC are easy to find too.
But then again a stout small block would be fun. But if I was to go through the hassle of changing everything I would go BBC.

boatguy222
02-03-2002, 09:15 PM
V-Kid,
If you go with the BBC, I have some parts that you might be interested in. Oil pan Front cover w/Neovane pump, glenwood exhaust,etc.
Marc

DetroitJim
02-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Hey, V-kid,
I second the idea of keeping the Pontiac, before BBC's came out most v-drives were Pontiac or Ford FE. I've spent years buying Pontiac marine gear, have yet to use it. I would like to compare info on what you have. If you decide to switch to SBC, I'm up for that too. SBC technology has come a long way, and the weight difference in a 16 ft. would be substantial. I have SBC v-drive conversion stuff also.
DJ

rrrr
02-05-2002, 07:00 PM
I am restoring my 67 Howard, trying to keep everything original including the 427 FE. BBCs are so common, I really think having something different is the way to go.
I should have a few pics soon.
[This message has been edited by rrrr (edited February 06, 2002).]

howard69
02-06-2002, 03:14 PM
keep it original. I have a 69 howard with the original 401 Buick nailhed in it.

Bluefin
02-12-2002, 10:20 AM
Kid, What is your E-Mail address? I have a pic of the steering components and keep getting your mail returned. Mine is mdc1@micron.net or mdc0205@aol.com, get in touch is you still want the parts. Mike