PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Popularity

Slick
03-14-2002, 08:34 AM
Is it me or is the popularity of turbo systems in recreational applications becoming more popular? I'm not talking about ski race or endurance boats, just normal everyday cruisers. I love turbo setups and I'm just hoping that, if they are becoming popular, that the older systems do not become harder to find as I cannot afford to build a new system. I'm hoping to maybe do one next winter.

burtandnancy
03-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Slick,
I started running turbos back in '77 and still love them. I had everything from TRS's, V-drives, Bravo"s and #6's. Nothing gives a bigger kick on the top end than a nice little 21 footer with a 500+ incher with turbos.
Start saving up your bucks, the exhaust manifolds will be one of your major costs (other than the complete engine pkg) Do it right and you'll have a long lasting package that will give you years or great fun...

03-14-2002, 07:32 PM
Slick, I have been messing with turbos for about 25 years, mostly on diesel engines. My turbocharged Hondo is not the quickest setup as it doesn't hit hard on the low-end like a blower. It is rather impractial as its in an 18' flat and geared high so it doesn't leave hard but when it starts getting into boost at about 3500 and up it just keeps building power until you lift. I did mine because I prefer turbos over blowers, everyone else has blowers and the engine is quiet and idles smooth at about 800 rpm. They seem to have fallen out of favor with most people because getting the correct turbos matched to your engine and application can be tough and there are only a few people around who really understand turbocharging. When I did my first turboed gas engine I was on my own as there was nobody around to turn to for advice. I killed a few pistons, rings, ect. getting it dialed in. When everything is right they are great. Have fun and good luck

SPECTRABRENT
03-14-2002, 08:08 PM
BUrt,
DId your Spectra 32 have turbos?
If it did were they stock 454's (LS6).
How fast was it?
I have a friend that is interested in buying a Spectra 32.
Brent

burtandnancy
03-14-2002, 09:15 PM
Yes, the first Spectra 32 was turboed, much to Bud Baileys distress. In those days Gale Banks was the only game in town. After a year or so, I wounded it, and took the 454's to 468's with Carillo's, pistons, cams, the whole lot. I eventually got it up to 88 on radar. It rans for many years in that configuration.
The new gel-coated 32's look better than new.
There have been some good buys on them lately

SPECTRABRENT
03-14-2002, 09:34 PM
How do you compare the Spectra 32 to the new 30-34 foot hulls, Halletts, Advantages, Eliminators etc.. Your right the new gel coats look as good or better than the original.
Did the Herbst 32 Spectra come original ALL RED.
THanks,
Brent

burtandnancy
03-19-2002, 08:50 AM
spectrabrent
Everything Jerry Herbst has bought for as long as I've known him (25+ years) has been his own red.
The only boat I'm familiar with that rode like the old 32 Spectra was my latest 32 Hallett, and both had identical speed, although I layed up my Hallett lighter. I've driven the 34 Eliminator V-bottom and its Ok but hard to define the differences.
See you on the river...