PDA

View Full Version : V-drive spots

Sangerboy
04-03-2002, 08:12 PM
Infomaniac's comment on the water conditions where flattie took the picture of his bubbledeck got me thinking. I would like people to post on this thread places where we can run our toys fast and hard with minimal problems ( speed limits, noise restrictions etc.) I debated the hot spots forum but I like you guys better. Here in Ventura county I test my boat at Lake Casitas near Ojai. Although there is a speed limit on the lake( 35 mph) it is not enforced. The lake is managed by a local water district and my experience has been very positive. Once a patrol boat stopped me and told me that if I wanted to make some hot passes to just do it along the dam. I've also run open dry stacks there with no problem. I give the fisherman a wide berth as they seem to be the most powerful political group on the lake. The Coyote launch ramp has no 5mph zone which can be real handy if you have to start in gear. The only downside is that you can't get in the water.

Costello
04-03-2002, 10:27 PM
Camp Far West on any non holiday weekend. Good water (warm too!) & two different counties makes enforcement of any kind a pain in the ass even if they were so inclined (they are not, noise nor speed). Gary who runs the lake, owns an injected alky flat himself and gets to pick and choose what the rules are! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
[This message has been edited by Costello (edited April 03, 2002).]

superdave013
04-04-2002, 07:03 AM
Lake Ming in Bakersfield any non race weekend. I used to run my flat there all the time. Most of the time there was only 2 to 3 other boats max.

schiada96
04-04-2002, 07:29 AM
Lake Casitas is a cool spot. We have run a lot of fast boats there. After this year I bet they crack down on it. The plus is no swiming so I hope they won't crack down too hard.

Jetboatguru
04-04-2002, 10:29 AM
I was at Lake Casistas on Saturday and I ran my Flat with Dry race headers on the bottle and never once got talked to by the patrol. They like to watch the boats run just as long as you are not doing burn outs in front of the launch ramp at Coyote. That place is one of the best to run your race boat.

schiada96
04-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Go get em JBG, how does cole cash go ?

Jetboatguru
04-04-2002, 04:35 PM
Cole Cash Rocks!!!!!!!!! Dennis and I are going out to Bassetts shop tonight at 8 to fill a blue bottle. Come on out.

Infomaniac
04-04-2002, 05:18 PM
A bit far for most of you but Thursday evenings at Keystone lake Oklahoma has been a drag boat gathering for many years. After 5:00 in Oklahoma the lake patrol goes in. Not many people on the lake and conditions are great.
I sold my runner bottom and bought the v-drive tunnel because I did not like waiting for most people to go in before I could run the boat without it beating my nuts flat.

Thunderbutt
04-05-2002, 01:58 PM
Go to lake Berryessa, go up into to Putah creek an stand in line. Originally posted by Sangerboy:
Infomaniac's comment on the water conditions where flattie took the picture of his bubbledeck got me thinking. I would like people to post on this thread places where we can run our toys fast and hard with minimal problems ( speed limits, noise restrictions etc.) I debated the hot spots forum but I like you guys better. Here in Ventura county I test my boat at Lake Casitas near Ojai. Although there is a speed limit on the lake( 35 mph) it is not enforced. The lake is managed by a local water district and my experience has been very positive. Once a patrol boat stopped me and told me that if I wanted to make some hot passes to just do it along the dam. I've also run open dry stacks there with no problem. I give the fisherman a wide berth as they seem to be the most powerful political group on the lake. The Coyote launch ramp has no 5mph zone which can be real handy if you have to start in gear. The only downside is that you can't get in the water.

Dans66Stevens
04-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Well up here in up-state NY. I have a nice little spot on the Susqahana River. I can run about 5 miles . The water is pretty much flat as Glass. No cops and only a few cottages. Some give me thumbs up and others just say Im #1 !!!!! I have found if you take a few of the locals for a ride. You will become friends fast!!!

pgf127rt
04-05-2002, 06:01 PM
Dan, I have seen that river on the tube, and it is beautiful water, we have the Brazos river above Lake whitney, as long as you go during the week it is a nice place to haul the mail, but on weekends bring out the heavy wake busting cruiser or the Old Glastron CVX20 Jet Boat cause it definetly isn't flatbottom water then.

Sangerboy
04-08-2002, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the posts guys. Thunderbutt my daughter will be going to a school about 20 miles from Lake Berryessa next year. Sounds like an excellent excuse to tow the flatbottom up with me when I go to visit her.

Fired Up
04-08-2002, 05:10 PM
Sangerboy, this was a good topic to bring up. Being from Ventura County it was good to know that I could test my boat someplace closer than Ming. I'm surprised they haven't become more strict at Casitas. Those fisherman seem to have some influence.

schiada96
04-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Fired up , we have run everything from fast river crusers to BAF's there. I hope it stays that way. If we are cool maybe it will last.

Sangerboy
04-09-2002, 06:01 PM
Right on Schiada96, let's always try to stay cool up there so we can keep on using it. Sounds like we have a lot of guys in Ventura County here, we ought to get together sometime. Always enjoyable to BS with fellow V-drivers and I usually end up learning something valuable.

schiada96
04-09-2002, 06:44 PM
Sangerboy there is a lot of us around here the infamous Jetboatguru,His croney's Dennis, Craig and Jim. Dennis took me for my first fast boat ride many years ago. He owned a black southwind dragster that ran 100+ pretty good for a jet. I could tell you alot of stories about him and Craig. Craig had a cole and kept going up on the no2 pill on Dennis. Then Dennis got Cole Cash and on and on. Dennis has a new project v-drive cruser it should put a hurt on me. It's going to be a fun summer