PDA

View Full Version : Casale questions

dannyUALsangar
08-30-2001, 12:27 PM
I've owned my Sangar flat for over 15 years and I have to admit that I've never done any maintenance to the gear box! I want to remove it and pull it apart and replace "things that need replacin'!" I've heard that I have to use the special gaskets from Casale to reassemble the unit for clearance(?) reasons and that I can't use the Ultra silicone gasket makers like I use for engines. I also have another Casale, out of my old Stevens, with a Whirl-a-way. Can I remove the Whirl-a-way parts and install them on my Sangar's Casale? I'm going to assume that I'd have to shorten my driveshaft.

superdave013
08-30-2001, 12:59 PM
Danny, I have exploded views of your v-drive with instructions. They are on my home computer. When I get home I will e-mail it to you. You will need one special tool to remove the top bearing from the front of the case. I just happen to make them or you can get one from Casale. Some people just pry the bearing out with a screwdriver.
You are correct, the gaskets do act as shims. The front case takes a thick one and the rear case takes a thick & thin one if your mounting plate is 3/8". If it's 1/2" then just use the thick gasket. The gaskests also act as shims on the bearing caps too. Each cap will take two or three gaskests.
Your whirlaway will mostlikley fit. Check to see if both of the housings have the same # of bolt holes (5 or 6). You will not have to shorten the drive shaft but will have to shorten the propshaft some.
V-drives are pretty easy to ake apart so you should not have any trouble.
15 years of troublefree service! I bet you even put some good h.p. to it too. That's pretty damm good. Try that with an outdrive.

schiada96
08-30-2001, 01:20 PM
SuperDave is right try that with an outdrive and 600+ hp. Checkout v-drives.com they have all the casale service stuff posted.
Jrb

dannyUALsangar
08-30-2001, 04:11 PM
Thanks, guys. Superdave, I'll look for e-mail from you and I think I'll check out v-drive.com, too. That Casale has been totally trouble free but I know it could use some TLC! The only strange thing about it has been a "clunking" kind of sound in gear at low RPM. As soon as the revs pick up, above about 1200-1500, the sound goes away and all you hear is the engine and gear whine! Its made this sound since the day I bought it from it's previous owner in Sacramento.

09-01-2001, 08:32 PM
The "clunking" is normal at low rpms, that is the in/out dogs flopping around. Nothing to worry about. I also have a Casale that I've run for better than 15 years too an its never been apart since I've owned it. I have no idea how long its run before I got the boat. I think thats even better than the life of a jet, isn't it?

dannyUALsangar
09-02-2001, 10:41 AM
058, these things take a lickin' and keep on tickin', don't they? I really do want to tear my Casale apart and "clean" things up, though. I'd also like to get my whirl-a-way out of my spare Casale box and onto my Sangar for safety reasons.
[This message has been edited by dannyUALsangar (edited September 02, 2001).]

09-02-2001, 11:01 AM
Danny, If your box is water cooled then it a real good idea to pull it apart and 'clean' it up as the oil/water temp difference can and does create alot of condensation in turn makes sludge.

dannyUALsangar
09-02-2001, 04:41 PM
I know that I've got to do it. I need to buy the gasket kit first. I'm sure all the inside parts asre fine, though. Any recommendation on where I should order from? Rex, Eddie Marine, CP?

superdave013
10-16-2001, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by dannyUALsangar:
I know that I've got to do it. I need to buy the gasket kit first. I'm sure all the inside parts asre fine, though. Any recommendation on where I should order from? Rex, Eddie Marine, CP?
You can even get gaskets direct from Casale!