PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

DougD
11-24-2001, 12:40 PM
Hi Gang,
Glad to find this list and have enjoyed what I've seen so far.
After many years away from the hobby I'm thinkin' about getting a 60's-70's flatty again and doing a period-correct resto.
For many years I had a '64 Stevens with a 427 Ford and Hallcraft (remember those?) V-drive.
Is there anyone out there who knows a bit about the history and fate of Stevens Boats?
As I recall, they were considered to be very rugged (gawd knows mine was!) and were popular for several years.
Wouldn't mind finding another Stevens, or perhaps a Brendella or something similar from the 60's. We'll see what the future brings.
Anyone know of any books and/or websites devoted to the old flatbottoms?
Anyhow, I am very happy to have found you guys and just wanted to introduce myself.
Thanks,
Doug

Costello
11-25-2001, 10:25 AM
Welcome Doug, I just started to frequent these boards not long ago myself. The V-Drive section of these forums isn't nearly as poplular as the jet section, but this is about as good as it gets as far as online resources for v-drive pleasure boats. www.v-driveboat.com (http://www.v-driveboat.com) is AZ Don's site and it is also a good one. Stick around and someone will be trying to sell you another boat in no time.

Stab-n-Steer
11-25-2001, 03:39 PM
Doug,
Welcome to the board. If you are looking to get back into v-drives I might suggest the Classic V-Drive Club. They have over 600 members and a monthly newsletter. The newsletter is pretty amateurisic but it's still fun to read and there are always lots of boats and parts for sale. They also have several outings a year along with some swap meets. You can get a subscription form at thier website www.v-driveboats.com (http://www.v-driveboats.com)
Randy

DougD
11-25-2001, 04:25 PM
Thanks, guys, for throwing out the welcome mat and thanks for the URL's, too.
Who knows, maybe sometime next year I'll be one those "old guys with a flatbottom" that I used to laugh about years ago.....
It's long long way from Washington state to Parker, Arizona, though !
See ya,
Doug