PDA

View Full Version : Marine Starters

LeadFootTheRabbit
01-23-2002, 12:04 AM
What makes a starter a Marine starter. The one that came off my SBC in my jet boat looks identical to the one in my sandrail (SBC) also. A regular Delco/Remy. Can anyone supply me some INFO? Thankyou
LDFTRBT

schiada96
01-23-2002, 07:17 AM
A screen to cover the starter winding to preven't sparks in the engine bay

spectras only
01-23-2002, 11:17 AM
My boat came with the prestolite starter for the BBF back in 1976.The starter solenoid is externally mounted on these starters and came with a metal shield blanketed over it.The Ford starters don't have solenoids [you can add an external one anywhere on the engine if you wish],because it's designed with one of the stator act like a solenoid and the actuator is mounted on this part[hence the hump/cover seen on the starter].The Ford starter uses a lot of current to pull the stator down to engage the pinion to the ring gear.The four brushes make sparks on contact with the commutator while running ,so a metal band to cover the four wisible holes around the housing is essential.The reason for the metal cover on the other [external type]solenoids is a good idea
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited January 23, 2002).]

DetroitJim
01-24-2002, 09:20 AM
On a Delco starter the rebuilder told me that all they do is tack weld the case at the seam to prevent blowing open, and use corrosion resistant parts. It is a misconception that "ignition proof" means that the part will not cause gas fumes to ignite. What the spec means is that when fumes are ignited, the explosion is contained and cannot cause a greater explosion of the entire bilge. A marine distributor for example has a screw down cap and a metal screen vent that will not dislodge in a explosion. Same with alternators.

spectras only
01-24-2002, 02:11 PM
DJ, well said!

LeadFootTheRabbit
01-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Good information guys, thankyou. Its helped me alot. LDFTRBT