PDA

View Full Version : Q on refinishing an outboard tower

Tom Brown
05-21-2007, 09:24 PM
What's the best way to remove the old finish?
The pieces are aluminum and I'd guess they're a somewhat soft alloy so would that suggest soda blasting? I prefer to do the least sanding as there are a ton of inside edges on the mid.
Will DuPont Chroma Base / Chroma Clear stand up on an outboard tower? I've got plenty of black Imron but I hessitate to use it because it's so dangerous.

Jbb
05-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Bead/media/soda blast.....
Good epoxy primer
Imron.....or other suitable polyurethane enamel...
.....................or you could cut your losses..... throw it in the lake ......and buy a jet....:D

bikerboater
05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Just did my outdrive. Sandblasted the corroded spots, sanded the rest with 150 then 220. Primed with DP epoxy primer and finished with PPG Deltron single stage. It's held up for me in the past. Never had this problem till I started docking!:(

Tom Brown
05-23-2007, 06:44 AM
Thank you, gentlemen. :cool:
I'm going to let the jet buying comment go as part of my foreign amnesty program and because I'm going to try to be less upset by your comments.
My doctor tells me my blood pressure is way too high. He said he wants me to look for the cause. "Is someone taunting you at work, or something?" "Everyone at work treats me great, doc."

Jbb
05-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Thank you, gentlemen. :cool:
I'm going to let the jet buying comment go as part of my foreign amnesty program and because I'm going to try to be less upset by your comments.
I will crush you .....Brown....:D