PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oil

Rocket
08-29-2001, 09:51 AM
Are there any takes on use of synthetic oil in marine application? I want to swap from conventional but have read against it? Whats the deal can or can't you use it in boats?

moomba
08-30-2001, 03:43 AM
I have asked this before and thought it would be better for my engine, but it is the same as conventional. Synthetics are good for cold starts (below 32) and high temps. I read if you have a 140 thermostat, your engine oil is running cool also, so you get no benifits from synthetic. Possibly the only benifit is when you extend you changes, which i wouldn't recommend since convetional oil is about 1/4 the price of synthetic. Go for a good straight weight oil. Multi-grades as a 20w-50 are only a 20 weight oil with viscosity improver added to thicken the oil when it gets hot. These break down very quickly with high rpm's and could cause ring sticking and your oil will be a 20 weight. (too thin)

crmax
08-30-2001, 07:15 PM
I used it in my race bikes and cars, It does make a small diffence in power but the motor must be broke in first!!

Rocket
08-31-2001, 01:51 AM
What I dont understand is why none of the syn types list a marine app....whats up with that? They give street use, you would figure that if it is good enough for hi per street engines,it would be good enough for someone who was just alittlenear crazy abut his boat. After all there is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".....

dannyUALsangar
08-31-2001, 07:40 PM
I use nothing but synthetic in my cars and my BBC Sangar flat. Hot Boat likes the stuff. I like the stuff. You just can't beat the protection of a modern synthetic. A synthetic is much less prone to viscosity breakdown and dillution due to unburnt hydrocarbons making their way past the rings. Its a little more expensive but how much ($) do you have in your engine?

Rocket
09-04-2001, 03:58 AM
I run a stock 502 mag w/CMI headers and thru hull ext. in a F242LS Formula, and most of my use is on the lake and intercoastal travel usualy 4 to 6 hours of running time. although it dosent see alot of top end use it occasionaly finds it way above 60mph (you know it just sound good.) What I m getting at is I havent broke the bank but I am a little anal retentive about what I have.