PDA

View Full Version : Motor man recommendation for engine problem

Timer
06-28-2001, 04:58 PM
OK, here's the deal. I was running down the lake today, and all of a sudden the exhaust (on the driver's side I think) began sounding raspy. I've got Bassetts (BBC) and was running dry at about 3500 rpm. Oil pressure was good and there was no lose of power. I decided to keep going to the marina, drop my love off to get the trailer and pull the boat out and come home. As I was going around to the launch ramp at about 2500 rpm, the sound wasn't as noticable. Does this sound like a blown head gasket?
Any recommendations on a good engine man in the Orange County area? A service guy at Eliminator recommended Bob Sebring in Torrence. Would he be worth the drive?
Thanks for any help.

Racing Ray
06-28-2001, 06:22 PM
[This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited March 12, 2002).]

Timer
06-28-2001, 07:27 PM
Sounds worthy. Thanks Ray.

TinMan57
06-28-2001, 08:28 PM
BEP performance is a very good engine builder, speed shop in Orange County.

Timer
06-29-2001, 05:27 AM
Thanks TinMan57.
Any comments from anyone on someone like Clay Smith? Some old receipts that came with the boat were from him. I've heard he's pricey but excellent.

skijake
06-29-2001, 11:17 AM
I know some people in both drag racing (asphalt) and water that lives by George at Clay Smith.
He is pricey and takes time to get engines back but he does make some real good horsepower and seems for the most part is reliable power.
I think it depends on what you want to get out of your motor and how much you want to put into it.

Timer
06-29-2001, 11:24 AM
Thanks skijake.
Another name just came up -- Gary Teague. Any input on him?
Sorry for piece-mealing out the names.

boatnam2
06-29-2001, 12:56 PM
hey timer,go to clay smith you wont be sorry.he builds top top quality and stands behind his product.there is a guy at littlefeild blowers his name is greg he builds a lot of motors for george at clay smith and he is very cheap and very good george him self recomends him.call littlefeild in anaheim and ask for him for about a quater of what anybody else will charge he will pull you motor send it to george pick it up put it together and in stall it.and you will be on the lake in no time unlike most of these other places they dont want to pull the motor or put it back in and if they do it usally takes about a month in a half believe me on this i went the long way twice before doing it the right way.if nothing else call gregg and talk to him.he's building a 1400 hp motor for a new lavey 27 cat thats going to haul ass.so he knows what he's doing.boatnam2

boatnam2
06-29-2001, 01:12 PM
hey timer,here is the number of clay smith714-523-0530 and gregs home number is 562-925-9688 call him and tell him jim with the american offshore told you call.he is in lakewood so its not to far from oc.i think he charges around 6to 800 to pull, tear down put back together and install call around you wont find that anywhere.as for teague they are a big dollar shop that works on big dollar boats for big dollar prices but do very good work i was at greggs house when he dissasimbled a teague motor from a shiada and he was saying the work was top quality.actually he only pulled off one head the guy thought he had blown the motor but gregg found out that it was only a stripped gear on the blower and the guy was back in the water buy the weekend.alot of places might of told him different.you just never know.oh well enough babbiling good luck if you ever see a all white american offshore with the letters FFR on the back(fat **** racing)say hi and take a ride and see what his motor looks like and how it runs. boatnam2

Timer
06-29-2001, 01:35 PM
Thanks Boatnam2.

froggystyle
06-29-2001, 08:18 PM
I don't want to get too heavy on his meat stick here, but Clay Smith is the man. This guy is a plethora of information, and were it not that I have Ed Hale here in San Diego, I would trek up there really quickly. I would stick with him, especially if he knows the boat.

superdave013
06-29-2001, 09:18 PM
George at Clay Smit is the only guy i use. I have been going to him for years and years. He put my drag boat in the winners circle a few times. This might sound dumb, but did you check to see if you spit a chunck of exhaust manifold gasket out? I did that one time and thought I had a rod knocking. Was all bummed out and started to tear it down. Took off the headers and bingo. Chunk O gasket missing. You might get lucky too!

Timer
06-30-2001, 05:57 AM
Thanks guys. What great input this board has to offer!!
I've decided to go with boatnam2's rec on Greg. I checked with Clay Smith and someone there confirmed that he does work for them and even works on Clay Smith's own stuff. I talked with Greg and he had some ideas about the problem being somewhat minor such as maybe a rocker arm off or a valve, and he described what diagnostics he would use. I will have him check the gasket deal, too.
It's a bummer that I can't check into it myself, but just don't have the space at home. (Does anyone have a house on a non-desert, low elevation lake with a view and a big garage that they want to sell? Of course it's got to be an older house with "character" for the little lady, but with no problems so I don't have to do any work on it! HAHAHA)

skijake
07-01-2001, 05:52 AM
I have bought alot of parts from Gary Teague,
I been to his shop many times and I can tell you if you are looking to have a bare hull rigged and have it done right and look first class he does a fantastic job.
I also builds engines to buy outright that make good horsepower. I'm not sure what he does as far as repairs or rebuilds but he probly does.
I know a few people that run engines that he built (twin turbos), they are putting out over 1100 HP and do last. He also sells a twin whipple motor.
I is well know for building speedski boats and always new ones in his shop. Also building offshore boats.
Looks like he can build and rig about anytype of ***boat.
I agree that for what you want and need that someone that does things George someone else from Clay Smith might be the answer
Good luck

Timer
07-01-2001, 09:13 AM
Thanks to all of you guys for the input.
The boat's with Greg now and he found the problem -- one header had a hole blown through it near the bottom bend. That would explain the noise. I think the headers are 1986 vintage according to the stamp on them so I guess they've done their service.
I asked Greg to look at some other things on the motor as he sounds like he really knows his stuff. Sounds like I may have it back tomorrow!

superdave013
07-02-2001, 02:30 AM
Timer, I have a set of headers that I am not using. E-mail me at valveautomation1@earthlink.net for more info.
So I was almost right. It sounded like a blown exhaust gasket to me. A hole blown in the header is pretty close.

boatnam2
07-02-2001, 04:59 AM
hey timer,im glad things worked out for you.one thing you can count on with gregg, he will get it done quick.

Timer
07-02-2001, 05:11 AM
Boatnam2, thanks for the recommendation on Greg. Looks great so far.