PDA

View Full Version : Cracked finish questions

stc37
07-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Ok, the gel coat is sun cracked. Someplaces look like dried lakebed! I'm assuming I'll need to sand down to glass, is that correct? It's all white now and since I'm planning a trick paint scheme, I think I'll end up having to go with paint. I'm planning to leave white on lower half and cobalt blue on upper half with flames on deck. I've got a hook up for "real" flames if I go paint. Can "real" flames be done with gel? I also hear that paint is much cheaper. I'd like to keep it under $2500, is that realistic? The hull is pretty straight, just a few of the usual scratchs from beaching. Nothing deep. If I sand it myself, what grit should I start with to strip off the gel coat and do I need to go to glass if I'm using paint? I've done auto body prep, but never messed with glass.

DUCKY
07-25-2007, 09:56 PM
No need to take it all the way down the the glass, unless you actually have stress cracks. Sand it down smooth with 80 grit, fill any bad spots with EverCoat's metal glaze polyester glazing putty (I also like AdTech #17, but it's tough to find sometimes). At this point, if you are going to paint the boat, I would suggest the use of a quality epoxy primer such as PPG's DPLF line, then a quality primer surfacer, then paint as normal. On the "real look flames" you won't be able to do them in gel. I have tried..... You don't have enough time to work once the gel is catalyzed.
On your $2500 budget idea...Only if you do nearly all the labor yourself. Gel-coat materials are less expensive than paint, but gel is much more labor intensive. You might be able to get someone to paint it for you for that price if the boat was stripped and the "body work" was done. Have Fun!

stc37
07-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will probably go with paint then since the flame job is going to be free for both truck and boat. I will do all the body work and prep, to the point where all he has to do is clean it and prime it.
Thanks again!