PDA

View Full Version : fixing stress cracks

axkiker
07-30-2007, 05:10 AM
So I just pulled home my new to me baja 272.
I have some stress cracks which need to be fixed. Ive been told these cracks are typical in these areas and not structural. Ive done alot of gel coat work but never on stress cracks. Whats the correct method to fixing them
I plan to grind them out with a dremel or something narrow and sharp. then fill with gel and sand and buff. I may then spray on top of that but im not sure if ill go that far yet.
Does this sound right or should I be looking into a different method.

DUCKY
07-30-2007, 06:24 PM
If they are stress cracks, then they are structural. If you can grind through the gel and see the cracks in the glass underneath (little white lines), then they need to be ground out completely and re-glassed. Then you need to figure out why it cracked to begin with (people sitting on the dash, inadequate support from a bulkhead, etc...) and fix that. Where are the cracks? Some pics would help. Anyways, unless the cracks are only in the gelcoat due to shrinkage, the repair method you explained will result in them coming back.
Just for information's sake, it has been my experience that repairing superficial stress cracks (those that are not getting worse, and not due to a collision) is a waste of time. Chances are that your will be chasing them for the life of the boat.....

axkiker
07-31-2007, 04:52 AM
No these are not into the glass. Just the gel coat.
the ones im chasing are around the back 2 cleats. Not sure why but thats where they are at.
This boat was used in big water so im hoping that it was just do to being tied up at docks and taking big wakes for days on end. Or at least thats what ive heard from other people with the same brand and style boat.
I just need to fix them up for the next couple years. Then im sure ill be moving on to another boat.

DUCKY
07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Being around a mounted accessory, such as a cleat, chances are that the cracks begin at some type of a sharp corner, such as a screw or bolt hole that wasn't countersunk, or the edge of a bad cutout job if they are recessed cleats. Remove the cleats, do your repairs, and then clean up all the mounting holes and edges of any cut out with a countersink bit so that any spots that the gel is penetrated is beveled, and you will probably be fine. Have fun!

axkiker
07-31-2007, 10:00 AM
Being around a mounted accessory, such as a cleat, chances are that the cracks begin at some type of a sharp corner, such as a screw or bolt hole that wasn't countersunk, or the edge of a bad cutout job if they are recessed cleats. Remove the cleats, do your repairs, and then clean up all the mounting holes and edges of any cut out with a countersink bit so that any spots that the gel is penetrated is beveled, and you will probably be fine. Have fun!
good call im glad you mentioned that. Ill make sure I do that I woudl really hate to do this crap again in a year or 2.