PDA

View Full Version : xr2 150 worth rebuilding??

checkin
07-23-2002, 10:30 PM
hello everyone, all the info so far has been great. i found a older fishin boat that a guy has. its blown up and sitting is his back yard. he thinks its a 85(?) its a xr2 150 blackmax, he said they thought the crank was shot. basically i haven't tried to turn the motor to see if its locked up or not just driving by and saw the guy outside and asked him about it. motor looks real clean lower unit clean also nothing bent or ripped off. he said he sell the whole boat/motor/trailer for $500,
i'm looking to put it or a different motor on my boat. right now i have a 78 100hp omc runs great but just not powerfull enough to have 5 people in the boat and do some skiing.
well basicaly i just wondered if this motor would be worth looking at for a build up. how much would parts cost if it needed a different crank. what would a used crank cost? how much are rings, bearings (possibly piston's also) and gaskets for this motor? i will be doing all the work so what would be a ball park figure for parts thinking the worst.
thanks alot everyone i didn't plan on writting so much
any thoughts on this would be great.
D.J.

HavasuDreamin'
07-24-2002, 05:37 AM
The 150 XR2 Motor is a great motor. I had one for several years before upgrading to a 200 Merc. They run real well and mine was trouble free. In a worst case scenario.....meaning that you need to re-sleeve a few cylinders, replace crank, rods, bearings, pitsons, reeds, etc. and rebuild the carbs, I would think you may be looking at somewhere between $2,000 and $2,500. If the boat is in nice condition, I believe it is worth it. Good Luck!

snappertapper
07-24-2002, 06:21 PM
the xr2 is an excellent motor and like HD said if the boat is in good shape then it is well worth it and and it should cost no more than $2500-$2700 to rebuild, but for that price it should have a good warrenty

NEECAPR
07-25-2002, 03:39 AM
Checkin: If you go ahead and get it, I can help out with the crank very reasonably if they didn't burn it up. Let me know! You do deserve a warantee- mine is one year.

Back To Havasu
07-29-2002, 08:25 AM
Just another opinion in favor of rebuilding the XR2. It is a terrific and reliable performance engine.