PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 liter Mercury HP outboards

2pt5MERCSonN2O
07-18-2001, 01:26 PM
I have a Talon 22 tunnel with twin Mercury High Performance 1993 2.5 liter carb engines (245HP). Back in '97 I added a 110HP Nitrox nitrous system for each engine. The engines have 270 hours on them.
Last weekend when pulling off the trailer something didn't sound right on the port engine. That unmistakable metal "sound". Anyway, we pulled the boat out and went home. Turns out the upper crank bearing shot craps. No signs of overheating, it just failed and half the needle bearings fell out and damaged the crank. Some material got past the crank seal ring and into the number one cylinder.
I've made the decision rather than spend the money rebuilding I'm just going to buy two new partial power heads and have two fresh engines again.
A partial power head basically includes everthing behind the reeds less electronics. My carb intake will bolt right up. I've been told the back half of the block will have the latest changes that have been incorporated in the new 280 MercHP. Does anyone know all the changes that have been made? I've been told the exhaust cavity is no longer divided and is open and the head bolt pattern has changed. Has the porting changed? Has anyone made a swap like this? Should I look into upgrading the stock tuner?
Thanks for any help.

dragally
07-18-2001, 08:55 PM
I wish I could help you out but all I've had are 2.4's. Now if you dont want that port motor I'd be happy to take it off your hands. :0)
Ron

2pt5MERCSonN2O
07-19-2001, 05:22 AM
Actually, my wife and I decided we are going to sell everything. We have a three year old daughter and will be building a house this year. We had this Talon custom built to our specs and enjoyed it for the last eight years and will hate to give it up.
I will probably sell it less engines on a Myco trailer then part out the rest. Need to figure out an asking price. Here is a pic of it running at a radar run for a local charity. I'll hate to see it go. It's an amazing boat.
http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=2pt5MERCSonN2O&album_id=32160&image_id=0&courtesy=1

dragally
07-19-2001, 07:05 AM
Thats a nice looking rig. I wish I could afford a 2.5 for my toy. Heres a pic of it. It too is for sale. It ran 90.8 with 2 people at Havasu on gps and just a little faster with 1. Not bad for a 2.4 150 eh?
http://www.southernutah.com/images/content/classifieds/2200_body.jpg

mrjetskey1
07-28-2001, 10:33 AM
Hello,
Ive got a 23' eliminator with 3x 2.5 carb
outboards my stb engine also lunched the upper crank bearing.I just installed a different crank as there was no other damage as i shut it down quick.I think that bearing lets go because of flywheel weigt i turn about 7000 rpms but I still have the stock flywheels which are too heavy. I'm not sure if you can run the open exhaust,good luck please let us know if your swap works out.
thanks marv