PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass schedule

BrendellaJet
08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
The pump on my jet boat is setback through the transom. It creates a lot of leverage on the bottom of the boat.The hull has cracked on one side right where the top of the floor & transom meet just outside of where the pump passes through the transom. The crack is about 2 inches. I've ground out on the outside about 1/2 way through the transom so I can lay some new glass. When done from the outside I will grind the rest of the way on the inside.
On the outside of the boat I plan to overlap the repair work 2 inches or so past the crack above & to the side of it. Its very close to the bottom so I cant go beyond. Im trying to minimize here because I dont want to do a bunch of gel repair work. On the inside I plan to overlap 6 inches all around so that the repair is just as strong if not stronger than original. does this sound adequate?
What material should i use? I have a ton of 2 oz. mat. Do I need cloth instead or will the mat work?
Note: I have already purchased supports that will tie into the transom to help support the weight of the pump so this should not be an issue in the future.
Thanks for the help and advice!

jimslade
08-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Mat has very little strength. Use a 1810 glass combo for strength. I would run the repair out to at least 12 inches. Better to be safe than have to redo the repair later. Make sure you grind with a 24 grit disc for a good mechanical bond.