PDA

View Full Version : prop slip

killer beazz
09-25-2002, 07:08 PM
how can i eliminate prop slip or reduce it.

ZSARGO
09-25-2002, 08:42 PM
killer beazz:
how can i eliminate prop slip or reduce it.BUY A JET BOAT :)
I HEAR DRILLING ONE INCH HOLES IN THE PROP WILL HELP. ALSO USING A 4 OR 5 BLADE PROP WILL GIVE YOU BETTER HOLE SHOT, LESS TOP END THOUGH.
[ September 25, 2002, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

CrazyHippy
09-25-2002, 10:14 PM
ZSARGO
I HEAR DRILLING ONE INCH HOLES IN THE PROP WILL HELP.
???????
Finding the right setup (setback, motorheight, trim angle, Prop) has been what i have heard.
Some props (cleavers) inherantly slip more, because they are run close to and sometimes even piercing the surface of the water.
Some info as to what the boat is, motor, current setup (setback, propshaft height, prop-including the work that has been done to it if any) and what the boat is doing now (too long to plane, requires lots of trim to free-up, Chinewalk, pourpusing) will help
BJH

killer beazz
09-27-2002, 06:46 AM
im gona take her out this afternoon and try to adjust moter hight trim angle and setup to try to find that sweat spot .

HavasuDreamin'
09-27-2002, 07:21 AM
1" holes are for a through the hub prop. Any time you are running a high performance, surface piercing prop, you should have an over the hub.
Good Luck

grimreaper
09-27-2002, 04:08 PM
ZSARGO:
killer beazz
[qb]how can i eliminate prop slip or reduce it.BUY A JET BOAT :) ........QB]TALK about "slip" and "waste"...... eek!

killer beazz
09-27-2002, 09:10 PM
THAT JET CAN NOT KEAP UP WITH AN OUT BOARD JUST WASTED MOTER YOU AUT TO RUN THAT MOTER IN YOUR CAMARO

HavasuBarney
09-28-2002, 12:02 PM
HavasuDreamin':
1" holes are for a through the hub prop. Any time you are running a high performance, surface piercing prop, you should have an over the hub.
Good LuckI agree that is the general rule but there are exceptions.
Without question, this Bravo 1 is the best prop I have tried on my 300X, hole shot and top end.
I have 2" holes to aerate the prop, break it loose, for the hole shot. I still have through-hub exhaust because it is still a warranted motor.
I do surface this prop and consider it a high performance app.
http://www.havasubarney.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_Ra_9_28_2002_124209_PM.jpg

TOBTEK
09-28-2002, 12:45 PM
HavasuBarney:
HavasuDreamin':
Without question, this Bravo 1 is the best prop I have tried on my 300X, hole shot and top end.
I have 2" holes to aerate the prop, break it loose, for the hole shot. I still have through-hub exhaust because it is still a warranted motor.
http://www.havasubarney.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_Ra_9_28_2002_124209_PM.jpgI have 2" holes to aerate the prop, break it loose, for the hole shot. I still have through-hub exhaust because it is still a warranted motor............Question for you Barney? I have a new 300X comming soon...By what you said, if you put a over hub ex prop on it will void the warranty? Just currious...

ZSARGO
09-28-2002, 01:03 PM
HavasuBarney:
HavasuDreamin':
http://www.havasubarney.com/AdminSite/ImageUploads/med_Ra_9_28_2002_124209_PM.jpgYO BARNEY,
WHAT TYPE OF HULL ARE YOU RUNNING THE 300X ON. I'M PUTTING ONE ON A 22 DCB. WHEN YOU SAY THE BRAVO I IS THE BEST PROP YOU'VE TRIED..HAVE YOU TRIED THE CHOPPER II, LIGHTNING E.T., CLEAVERS?? I'VE HEARD THE SAME THING ABOUT THE BRAVO. THIS WILL HAVE ME A LOT OF TESTING, TIME AND $$$$$$$$$$$. THANKS FOR YOU ADVICE IN ADVANCE.

ZSARGO
09-28-2002, 01:06 PM
killer beazz:
THAT JET CAN NOT KEAP UP WITH AN OUT BOARD JUST WASTED MOTER YOU AUT TO RUN THAT MOTER IN YOUR CAMAROI WAS JUST BEING A SMART ASS. I DON'T OWN A JET BOAT. DID ABOUT 1 YEAR AGO. ULTRA 21. TOP SPEED 55 WITH 454. OACH.
NEW BOAT DCB MACH22 300X. TOP SPEED???????? WE'LL SEE IN MARCH 2003

HavasuBarney
09-28-2002, 02:18 PM
My point was more geared toward HD's comments of high performance props being over hub, which I agree with BTW.
The reason I run the thru-hub for warranty reasons is it would void my warranty if I were to releive the exhaust through the mid section.
I run a 21ft Liberator tunnel, very similar bottom to a 22 DCB. My boat is a heavy layup, somewhere in the 1500 - 1800 lbs range.
I've tied many, Choppers, chopper II's, cleavers, ET's. ChopperII ran good on the top end but did not have the bite out of the hole.
Currently running 16" setback with hyd jackplate, have run 99.4 on GPS.
My prop has been thinned, cupped and worked by Kevin Taylor at R&R Props out of Las Vegas. It started life as a 26 but is much closer to a 27 now.
The Bravo1 has been the fastest and the best all around in one.

ZSARGO
09-28-2002, 02:51 PM
HavasuBarney:
My point was more geared toward HD's comments of high performance props being over hub, which I agree with BTW.
The reason I run the thru-hub for warranty reasons is it would void my warranty if I were to releive the exhaust through the mid section.
I run a 21ft Liberator tunnel, very similar bottom to a 22 DCB. My boat is a heavy layup, somewhere in the 1500 - 1800 lbs range.
I've tied many, Choppers, chopper II's, cleavers, ET's. ChopperII ran good on the top end but did not have the bite out of the hole.
Currently running 16" setback with hyd jackplate, have run 99.4 on GPS.
My prop has been thinned, cupped and worked by Kevin Taylor at R&R Props out of Las Vegas. It started life as a 26 but is much closer to a 27 now.
The Bravo1 has been the fastest and the best all around in one..6 AWAY FROM 100MPH. NO BREAKFAST AND A BIG POOP IN THE MORNING AND I THINK YOUR THERE. DID THE WORK BY R&R MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE ON TOP END? I'M NOT SO WORRIED ABOUT HOLE SHOT. JUST TOP END. DO YOU THINK THE BRAVO IS STILL THE BEST APPLICATION FOR THAT?

TOBTEK
09-28-2002, 02:57 PM
Currently running 16" setback with hyd jackplate, have run 99.4 on GPS.......by Barney
this is way DCB need's to start adding JACKPLATES to his set-ups....help's the holeshot, and better topend...just my two cents.

HavasuBarney
09-28-2002, 03:08 PM
The work by R&R made a big differance, I had this same prop last year on my 98 300 also. It was a gradual process but picked up about 5 mph over the stock Bravo1. Don't be too quick to disgard your holeshot, that's where most races are won.
The other thing about holeshots, when your loaded with passengers and fuel, getting on plane quickly is key. Nothing more embarrasing than cavitating that prop and taking 50 yards to get on plane! eek!
To answer your question directly, for a 21-22 ft outboard tunnel with a 300X, I think it is the best prop available...but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :D
Jackplates IMO are essential if your gonna get everything out of her. There is no way you can have one setup height that is optimal for all occasions.
That last 1 inch raise in my motor height, makes as much as 8-10 mph diff.
[ September 28, 2002, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: HavasuBarney ]

ZSARGO
09-28-2002, 05:58 PM
HavasuBarney:
The work by R&R made a big differance, I had this same prop last year on my 98 300 also. It was a gradual process but picked up about 5 mph over the stock Bravo1. Don't be too quick to disgard your holeshot, that's where most races are won.
The other thing about holeshots, when your loaded with passengers and fuel, getting on plane quickly is key. Nothing more embarrasing than cavitating that prop and taking 50 yards to get on plane! eek!
To answer your question directly, for a 21-22 ft outboard tunnel with a 300X, I think it is the best prop available...but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :D
Jackplates IMO are essential if your gonna get everything out of her. There is no way you can have one setup height that is optimal for all occasions.
That last 1 inch raise in my motor height, makes as much as 8-10 mph diff.YO BARNEY,
I THINK I WILL PUT A JACKPLATE ON MY BOAT WHEN IT GETS RERIGGED. WHO DO YOU RECOMMEND?

HavasuBarney
09-28-2002, 10:13 PM
Jackplates... another can of worms!
First I would do some homework on you set-up, talk with Dave and tell him what you want to do. He knows his boats better than anybody and is great about sharing. I do not know his personal feeling on jackplates but if you insist you want one, I sure he'll be The Source for what size and the proper amount of setback for your application.
Jackplates themselves come in many styles and sizes, from the 5 1/2 inch CMC's to 16 inch R&R Designs. There are many on the market so determining the size first is key, then pick a style you like. Installation is pretty basic on most models although some models like the Porta Brackets get more complex.
My advice would be to talk to Dave first but also check out some of the set-ups Eliminator and Cougar has put out.
It is an ongoing debate over who makes the best plate, I own several brands myself but favor the self contained CMC units for about $650. Prices can range all the way into the $2500 range. eek!
Another thing to consider is the type of switching you want for your jackplate, there are dial gauges, toggle switches, foot pedals.
My personal favorite and what I use is the Pro Trim blinker style switches from Teleflex Marine, very simple, easy to use. Tilt and trim on one side jackplate on the other.
Then there's also the issue of running with a jackplate, if your not careful about your engine postion at all times, you can fry your motor in a hurry. With all the updated Mercury electronics, they would know it was driver error that fried the motor and void your warranty.
Transom mounted water pickups solve this issue very neatly though and are a must for jackplate use.
Whoever you buy your motor from would be a good choice to hang the jackplate also, if it's not standard on your boat, they could do transom mounted water pick-ups at the same time.
Whew! :)