PDA

View Full Version : stripped screws in deck

Whisky Dick
08-09-2007, 09:59 AM
I have some screws that have popped out on the deck rail. I was thinking of filling the holes, drilling a pilot, and use some self tapping screws. Someone suggested to me to use a product called 5200 at West Marine. Is this the best way to go about this, or does someone have a better suggestion?
thanks

phebus
08-09-2007, 10:07 AM
If you have access from behind, drill the holes out and thru bolt it.

Whisky Dick
08-09-2007, 10:12 AM
no access from behind

Xlration Marine
08-09-2007, 12:21 PM
The deck rail? Screws for the deck, or screw to hold the rail together? If it's to the deck which is glass? I used some resin or epoxy, put in a wooden dowel. Drill it to size and use some 5200 on the screw when you put it back it.

boats&bars
08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
what he said.

Whisky Dick
08-10-2007, 02:38 PM
what about marine-tex? fill it, drill it, screw it!

wideopen545
08-10-2007, 07:21 PM
we have used a golf tee's the cheep ones drive it in the hole break it off and reinstall the screw

fuzz
08-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I had the screws of my boarding ladder strip out and the shape of the hull mold at that location prevented me from getting behing to mount bolts. I tried bigger screws but they didn't hold very long. I went to the hardware store and bought a 2 part epoxy. I mixed the epoxy up on piece a cardboard and then filled up a big syringe I got free from the local vet. I took the syring a filled the holes up with the epoxy and then pushed the screws into it. I made sure everything was flush and tight and let it dry for a day. After it was all set up and dry I am convinced those screws are never coming out again. That was a year and a half ago and no hint of any problems. It might be a problem if I ever want to take the ladder off, but I don't expect that I will. Hey if you drip that stuff anywhere else you better clean it up immediately because it won't ever come off.

Lefty
08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
I don't know if you able to fix your problem yet, but another suggestion would be to take a toothpick put it in the hole and screw the screw in while wedging it between the screw and the hole. The toothpick will take up some of the extra area in the hole. Good luck

DUCKY
08-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I don't know if you able to fix your problem yet, but another suggestion would be to take a toothpick put it in the hole and screw the screw in while wedging it between the screw and the hole. The toothpick will take up some of the extra area in the hole. Good luck
This, or the cut off end of a zip tie works for something purely cosmetic that has no real load on it. If it's something structural, go get yourself some "toggler's" over at West Marine. I believe they are made all the way down to 10-32.
http://images.outdoorinteractive.net/mgen/263500_d.jpg?is=300,300,0xffffff&cvt=jpg