PDA

View Full Version : Mercury's Project X

snappertapper
12-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Anybody hear anything of mercurys project x supposeably the worlds first 250hp 4 stroke.
Here is the story
Project X Unveiled
Mercury Marine (http://www.mercurymarine.com) has introduced an all-new outboard engine, code named "Project X." While company representatives have remained silent about this revolutionary powerplant, BoatTEST recently saw this new 4-stroke, 250 horsepower engine in action at the Mercury dealer meeting.
Mercury demonstrated Project X as a single-engine setup on a Triton bass boat and as a twin-engine installation on a Boston Whaler. Our initial tests show the engine is so quiet you can hardly hear it running at idle, and it is sure to shatter the commonly held notion that 4-strokes are slow out of the hole. It took just 1.5 seconds to plane off on the Triton and less than 4 seconds on the Whaler.
The engine, appropriate for both fresh- and saltwater applications, appears to be almost shake-free, with no n! oticeable smoke upon start-up or acceleration. Torque was also impressive in the midrange, unlike many 4-strokes in the past. While Mercury would not confirm an official release date for the new engine, it is sure to cause big waves in the industry.

HavasuDreamin'
12-12-2002, 07:15 AM
Two thumbs up for putting the research and development into a permanent solution to the perpetual tree hugger problem. idea2 I just hope they can make it light enough! Good Job Mercury :D

snappertapper
12-12-2002, 08:32 AM
Thats kinda what i was thinking sinces it is a 4 stroke and all i dont kno how heavy it will be

Skaterfast
12-12-2002, 09:29 PM
28 Skater with 500hp worth of four stroke.HHmmmm.I'd love to build it just to go to Lake Tahoe(four stroke only lake) and see the look on their faces.

Boatmaster
12-13-2002, 07:06 AM
Skaterfast four stroke only come on, I just rigged Rick Bowling's Tahoe only Skater with twin 250XS Opti Max direct injection motors, still legal. I never trhought you would slip over to the four stroke camp. What's the chance you will have your new 28 at the BBSP next year? See Ya.

Skaterfast
12-13-2002, 05:07 PM
Boatmaster:
Skaterfast four stroke only come on, I just rigged Rick Bowling's Tahoe only Skater with twin 250XS Opti Max direct injection motors, still legal. I never trhought you would slip over to the four stroke camp. What's the chance you will have your new 28 at the BBSP next year? See Ya.Not a chance,no 28 for me.Just bought a house in Havasu.It will be done in April.Can you say BBSPHW(House Warming).BM you bring a Full size fridge and you can stay the weekend for free.Pluss another weekend of your choice.Now lets see what I can get for a full weeks stay?

Boatmaster
12-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Congrats on the house. I do not know if I can fit a frige in my tahoe and all my shit. See ya in april. Thanks for setting my mind at ease about the four stroke.

randy77zt
12-14-2002, 02:01 AM
i dont care if its 2 stroke or 4 stroke.i just want speed with the lowest amount of operating cost.i heard yamaha was building the power head for merc.a good choice.since i work on cars for a ford dealer i know that yamaha built the motors for taurus sho.never saw a motor failure.the instructors at factory traing school said the engine would rev to 10000 but was limited to keep the alternators and ac compressors from blowing up.as i get older i like more performace with refinement.i dont feel the need to advertise with a loud engine.just try to catch me.if they could build a 4 stroke that would push my mirage to 110 mph and only gain 25 lbs in weight i would buy one when i needed a new motor.

Boatmaster
12-14-2002, 08:09 AM
Randy Yamaha is making all of mercs 4 strokes right now, But this new 250 is all merc. My merc rep told me it would be out at the Miami show this year. Are you going to the BBSP this year?

snappertapper
12-14-2002, 09:55 AM
should be interesting yamaha builds a good enigine cant wait to see how the mercs are

randy77zt
12-16-2002, 12:39 AM
i will be a bbsp again.i had many small mechanical difficulties last spring at havasu do to having a slightly used boat that wasnt set up correctly .the mirage is the first boat i have owned but i have worked on a few.still looking for a few more mph on top but i am concentrating on set up and leaving the motor alone.the boat is sttripped down and in the glass shop getting restored from last years use.i have a bad habit of liking to drive the boat at 90+ mph for long periods of time.every thing(gas tank ,trim pump,battery tray) was pulled out from floor.i dont think a mirage is made for poker runs but its fast enough -just dont hit big waves.

Whatboat
12-19-2002, 02:49 PM
heres what my merc rep told me. yamaha does not build all mercs 4s, never have. only some, at the same time merc builds some yamahas. tohatsu or however you spell it. will be building merc 15 and under 4s.
thier large inline 6 4s has dynoed above 340 hp.
They don't stay together very long though. they are having longevity problems with them and may not be released as planed. I'm kidding I don't have a rep

Whatboat
12-20-2002, 03:35 PM
Correction: Tohatsu will be assembling All mercs 15 hp and under....Until further notice

snappertapper
01-18-2003, 10:42 AM
i think that when mercury builds their own four stroke it is going to suck.mercury is good for one thing only and that is to flat out haul a$$ for a short period of time.why dont you think outlaw gillnetters use them they want the speed of a mercury but they NEED the dependability of a yamaha. and dependability is what a 4 stroke is about

HavasuDreamin'
01-21-2003, 06:33 AM
snappertapper:
i think that when mercury builds their own four stroke it is going to suck.mercury is good for one thing only and that is to flat out haul a$$ for a short period of time.why dont you think outlaw gillnetters use them they want the speed of a mercury but they NEED the dependability of a yamaha. and dependability is what a 4 stroke is about With all due respect, devil I think it was a Kiekafer Mercury at Lake X that ran continuously for several days and nights straight (I forget exactly how long)! Merc's are dependable motors if used and serviced properly. Anything that is raced, including Yamaha's may not last long. Depends on how hard they are raced.
I don't know what outlaw gillnetters are, but I do know that most foreign country's use Yamaha motors. My guess is they are cheaper in Australia than a Merc, and parts are more readily available. Same reason you don't see OMC.
[ January 21, 2003, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

snappertapper
01-21-2003, 09:29 AM
well one me deepest appologies, i did not post that a friend with my password did but the reason we dont run mercs is because they do not like heavy loads which we often times run motors under

HavasuDreamin'
01-21-2003, 12:23 PM
I'll let it slide this time. wink :p